Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.38 Average
Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | Complete
Great photo!

I live near the Market and Charlie West has just started to be visible from my kitchen window. The view from all sides of my house is going to be very different between CW, DTK and Drewlo.
How many floors are yet to be erected?
(10-23-2020, 04:39 PM)Momo26 Wrote: How many floors are yet to be erected?

They were pouring concrete for the walls of the 29th floor today, so getting pretty close to the top (31). Though I'll note that based on the renders, the design of the mechanical penthouse will make the building look like it has 32 floors.
I walked past this today with my parents (who generally prefer to live in the suburbs and don't often experience downtown), and they said it looked nice but were very confused by the panels abutting the parking garage..."Why would the wall facing the street be empty and blank, what even is that?"

Our car dependency affects us in so many different ways.
(10-24-2020, 11:10 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I walked past this today with my parents (who generally prefer to live in the suburbs and don't often experience downtown), and they said it looked nice but were very confused by the panels abutting the parking garage..."Why would the wall facing the street be empty and blank, what even is that?"

Has there been an authoritative/official comment that the garage facade is finished as-is? I could see that being the case, but its also plausible to me that this is the base for something looking closer to their original design (say, if the fins/surface texture was intentionally left off during construction to avoid damage or because it was a longer lead for fabrication).
(10-26-2020, 08:53 AM)cherrypark Wrote:
(10-24-2020, 11:10 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I walked past this today with my parents (who generally prefer to live in the suburbs and don't often experience downtown), and they said it looked nice but were very confused by the panels abutting the parking garage..."Why would the wall facing the street be empty and blank, what even is that?"

Has there been an authoritative/official comment that the garage facade is finished as-is? I could see that being the case, but its also plausible to me that this is the base for something looking closer to their original design (say, if the fins/surface texture was intentionally left off during construction to avoid damage or because it was a longer lead for fabrication).

Someone might correct me, but I don't think so.  Has anyone been in touch with the devleoper?

I think when it is all lit up we might feel differently about it.
I don't have as big of an issue with the garage panels as others on this forum. I think they look decent and look nice at night when the garage is lit up. Not saying it is an amazing piece of art, but it does its job. DTK and one 28 king on the other hand are horrendous. I have to believe that something nicer can be achieved at a similar price than grey and white concrete panels.
(10-26-2020, 02:27 PM)westwardloo Wrote: I don't have as big of an issue with the garage panels as others on this forum. I think they look decent and look nice at night when the garage is lit up. Not saying it is an amazing piece of art, but it does its job. DTK and one 28 king on the other hand are horrendous. I have to believe that something nicer can be achieved at a similar price than grey and white concrete panels.

I think 128 King is going to surpass K2 as the worst building on that stretch of King.
Absolutely! How did Waterloo end up with so many duds??
Two words - student housing.
(10-26-2020, 02:27 PM)westwardloo Wrote: I don't have as big of an issue with the garage panels as others on this forum. I think they look decent and look nice at night when the garage is lit up. Not saying it is an amazing piece of art, but it does its job. DTK and one 28 king on the other hand are horrendous. I have to believe that something nicer can be achieved at a similar price than grey and white concrete panels.

(10-27-2020, 09:55 AM)Momo26 Wrote: Two words - student warehousing.

Fixed that for you ...

It's big, boss!

(10-27-2020, 09:57 AM)panamaniac Wrote:

(10-27-2020, 09:55 AM)Momo26 Wrote: Two words - student warehousing.

Fixed that for you ...

Ahahah
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »