Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
64 Margaret Ave and 217/229 Victoria St N | 6 fl | U/C
I think this is behind Market Flats (now under way) and 242-262 Queen St S (just getting started) in Vive's queue, so my personal guess is that it won't start this year yet.

There was heavy equipment digging or excavating on the Victoria portion of this development this morning. Still not clear what is going on here. There is still one Vive sign on an empty lot on Margaret (between two houses) but no signs on the main portion of the project on Margaret.

This is the sign that still stands but I think it was part of the original project that was cancelled?
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4558478,...384!8i8192

Edited after some duckduckgo-foo
https://vivedevelopment.com/project/64-margaret/

Vive still have this listed on their site. I incorrectly assumed when the signage came down that the project was cancelled. My bad.
Last week they put up construction fence and placed a bunch of shipping containers on the L-shaped site from Victoria to Margaret. Looks they are ready to get started in earnest.

This rendering is fronting 225 Victoria St but they are calling it 64 Margaret.
https://vivedevelopment.com/project/64-margaret

Street view.
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4567738,...384!8i8192
There are (were?) supposed to be two buildings, one fronting each street. The one fronting Margaret Ave is supposed to have a more traditional look.

Quote:The smaller building along Margaret Avenue would be built in a style reminiscent of the mansion that once stood there, said Vanessa Hicks, a heritage planner hired by Vive. The stucco and limestone building would be designed to look like a large home from the street and would have a roofline and tall, eight-paned windows reminiscent of those on the original Breithaupt mansion, which was demolished in 2003.

https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...hener.html
(02-07-2022, 01:27 PM)tomh009 Wrote: There are (were?) supposed to be two buildings, one fronting each street. The one fronting Margaret Ave is supposed to have a more traditional look.

Quote:The smaller building along Margaret Avenue would be built in a style reminiscent of the mansion that once stood there, said Vanessa Hicks, a heritage planner hired by Vive. The stucco and limestone building would be designed to look like a large home from the street and would have a roofline and tall, eight-paned windows reminiscent of those on the original Breithaupt mansion, which was demolished in 2003.

https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...hener.html

Thanks Tom, I forgot about that article. I did read it at some point in the past.

The Margaret Ave portion looks like it could be pretty neat if they pull it off and it looks like the old WH Breithaupt mansion. I can't see them keeping the large porches though.

The Victoria portion looks like it will be an okay addition and serve as a nice functional apartment.
Vive and Zehr Group signs are up on the Victoria side.
Also some drilling going on.
Digging well underway on this, finally!

Actual construction is now under way.

Time for an update perchance! Exterior construction of both the midrise and the townhouse complex is largely complete bar the cladding, I expect the interior work will take some time yet. Occupancy sometime in winter?

This midrise building fits the Vive property profile perfectly, along with Ophelia, Market Flats, Woodside and the King/Borden project (which is at excavation stage). It remains to be seen whether the much taller Vive proposals in the east end will materialize as Vive or be sold to another developer.

Oh wow I thought this project was already done since it was announced yyyyyeeaaaarrrrsss ago. Well, at least Vive is actually building it. They were doing okay at first with building renovations and a few small projects of their own, then they were announcing one seemingly every other week which have gone nowhere (or were flipped).
It's true that the big ones have yet to go anywhere, but Vive have done a fair bit of new mid-range construction now: Woodside, Ophelia, 169 Borden, this one, 528 Lancaster and Market Flats--and excavation now completed at 926 King.

Will have to wait and see whether they actually build some of the proposed tall towers themselves.
(08-06-2023, 07:07 PM)tomh009 Wrote: It's true that the big ones have yet to go anywhere, but Vive have done a fair bit of new mid-range construction now: Woodside, Ophelia, 169 Borden, this one, 528 Lancaster and Market Flats--and excavation now completed at 926 King.

Will have to wait and see whether they actually build some of the proposed tall towers themselves.

I wouldn't necessarily say that the big ones haven't necessarily gone anywhere, certainly none of the large downtown projects have started such as Lower Kitchener or 1770 King St E, but the same can be said about most developer's larger downtown projects, Zehr is sitting on East Gate and 660 Belmont, Momentum is sitting on Q Condos just as examples. Even with Vive sitting on some larger projects they're still working on some as they have completed much of the shoring work for 3241 King St E has and its a fairly substantial project with 3 towers ranging from 24-19 floors and around 900 units. So they certainly have some big ones started.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »