Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
87 Regina St S | 81m | 25 fl | Proposed
I would like to use attachments, but my phone's camera takes pictures that are generally 3-5 MB, and attachments have to be under 3 MB.

(10-25-2019, 03:21 PM)jwilliamson Wrote: I would like to use attachments, but my phone's camera takes pictures that are generally 3-5 MB, and attachments have to be under 3 MB.

There's lots of phone apps that will resize photos, I find that easier than uploading them somewhere else.
If I increase the size limit that helps but does the resolution make it unviewable?
It shouldn't impact whether the file is viewable or not. If it's just the file size being increased, MyBB shouldn't display them at any higher resolution unless it was manually done in the CSS. You could always try, though be wary of bandwidth usage. Image files can add up.
There's a few examples of very large attached images not being resized to fit in the theme throughout the site, but it's always possible to open the image directly to see the whole thing. If there's a MyBB setting to set maximum render dimensions for attached images so browsers can scale them down so they fit in the theme that would be great. I did a bit of searching for both an example oversized image and a MyBB setting, but could not in a short time.
I use the "Image Size" app on my phone to resize. Lots of other choices exist, too.

One 5 MB photo might not be bad but when you have five or ten on one page, it can really bog down the viewing.
(10-26-2019, 08:08 AM)robdrimmie Wrote: There's a few examples of very large attached images not being resized to fit in the theme throughout the site, but it's always possible to open the image directly to see the whole thing. If there's a MyBB setting to set maximum render dimensions for attached images so browsers can scale them down so they fit in the theme that would be great. I did a bit of searching for both an example oversized image and a MyBB setting, but could not in a short time.

AFAIK it's just an ability to limit size, not resolution.

Is this project still a potential go? Feels like Uptown Waterloo put a lot on hold for development.
Waterloo city council approved rezoning this land to allow the development (which is surprising), but I haven't heard any news from the developer itself (Torgan Group) as to whether or not they'll actually build this. Additionally, BDP Quadrangle, the architecture firm who designed it, delisted it from their portfolio long ago. Your guess is as good as mine.
(03-19-2021, 01:49 PM)welltoldtales Wrote: Is this project still a potential go? Feels like Uptown Waterloo put a lot on hold for development.

Probably not... developers don't believe in Uptown Waterloo anymore, which is unfortunate. Besides the market realities, the City of Waterloo needs a wake up call to start doing some truly innovative planning and urban design to attract quality development. City hall is stuck in their small town and very conservative mentality in the way things are run, even though Council is the most progressive it has ever been.
I've felt for the last number of years that uptown and the City of Waterloo has just continued to run on it's reputation rather than pushing and being the great city it could be.
(03-19-2021, 08:23 PM)urbd Wrote:
(03-19-2021, 01:49 PM)welltoldtales Wrote: Is this project still a potential go? Feels like Uptown Waterloo put a lot on hold for development.

Probably not... developers don't believe in Uptown Waterloo anymore, which is unfortunate. Besides the market realities, the City of Waterloo needs a wake up call to start doing some truly innovative planning and urban design to attract quality development. City hall is stuck in their small town and very conservative mentality in the way things are run, even though Council is the most progressive it has ever been.

Funny thing, the City's motto is "Stability".  The City has been working hard to make improvements to the Uptown area (I'm looking at you, King St redesign) and has also likely been overwhelmed by the development surge in the Northdale area which brought its own urban design challenges. Waterloo also isn't blessed like Kitchener at having the following:
1. A piggy bank known as a city-owned utility company that can bankrolled endless experiments in urban reconstruction.
2. No river running through the downtown that creates all sorts of water table and flood control issues. (This was a particular concern for 87 Regina St)
3. A historic commercial/industrial core that is more than half a block deep on either side of King St.
It is ironic that the historic commercial/Industrial component of DTK is the very same Achilles heel that caused DTK to be seen as a relic and reason to avoid for many years....

(03-19-2021, 08:23 PM)urbd Wrote:

Well put.

And I agree with Spokes - Waterloo runs on its reputation and nothing more. Apart from the cluster of development around Allen Station, nothing has happened uptown in years. They had all these developers proposing great projects - office, retail, residential - but so far very few of them have gone anywhere. Even outside of the core of uptown, things seem to stall or NIMBYs end up getting in the way (Westmount/Erb). Most people I know in the architecture industry who are involved in this region have said they've all started to focus on downtown Kitchener because nothing ever happens in Waterloo.
(03-19-2021, 02:05 PM)ac3r Wrote: Waterloo city council approved rezoning this land to allow the development (which is surprising), but I haven't heard any news from the developer itself (Torgan Group) as to whether or not they'll actually build this. Additionally, BDP Quadrangle, the architecture firm who designed it, delisted it from their portfolio long ago. Your guess is as good as mine.
Wait quadrangle designed this? That would have to be one of the more high profile architects to do a project in this region no?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »