Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
(02-27-2023, 05:56 PM)Acitta Wrote: I will be happy to see that gone. It has been an eyesore for a long time.

That's Heritage Eyesore™ to you
local cambridge weirdo

A few more months and that likely could have demo'd itself and saved them some money. :'P

Indeed there are plans to get this corner redeveloped at some point. It would be nice if 15 Joseph (the old yellow Bullas Glass building) could go as well. You could build a nice high density development there if you were able to knock down those 3 houses (only 1.5 of them are even in use) as well as the old yellow building. I'm fairly certain that building is vacant.
(02-27-2023, 06:48 PM)ac3r Wrote: A few more months and that likely could have demo'd itself and saved them some money. :'P

Indeed there are plans to get this corner redeveloped at some point. It would be nice if 15 Joseph (the old yellow Bullas Glass building) could go as well. You could build a nice high density development there if you were able to knock down those 3 houses (only 1.5 of them are even in use) as well as the old yellow building. I'm fairly certain that building is vacant.

I suppose it's inevitable and most of it wouldn't be missed.  I hope, however, that something of the vitrilite facade could be saved - iinm, that's the last of its kind in KW.  Iinm, I seem to recall reading once that it was designed by one of the Bullas Bros.
Yeah I've always liked that old building. I can just picture it in the 1950s with a couple of Ford Galaxie's parked outside of it or something. Would have been a cool vibe.

Some history facts incoming: The Bullas Brothers originally owned a very large building which occupied the block which later became the Kitchener Transit bus terminal (the Bullas Glass building on Joseph was actually built by their father). The building owned by the brothers, however, offered retail space as well as some residential space. There was a public square, fountains and public art (the art is now in the permanent collection of the Kitchener Waterloo Art Gallery). At the time, Charles Street actually ended at Ontario Street and the entire block between Ontario and Queen housed businesses and residential buildings. There was not a through street at the time.

The brothers were strong advocates to have Charles extended in order to turn it into an important arterial road for the city. Ultimately the City of Kitchener agreed and did extend it until it hit Benton Street. Then by the mid 1960s, it was extended once more until it hit Cedar Street. City planners eventually said "why not make it even longer?". So they began to extend it as far as they could, until it merged with King Street East.
(02-27-2023, 08:05 PM)ac3r Wrote: Yeah I've always liked that old building. I can just picture it in the 1950s with a couple of Ford Galaxie's parked outside of it or something. Would have been a cool vibe.

Some history facts incoming: The Bullas Brothers originally owned a very large building which occupied the block which later became the Kitchener Transit bus terminal (the Bullas Glass building on Joseph was actually built by their father). The building owned by the brothers, however, offered retail space as well as some residential space. There was a public square, fountains and public art (the art is now in the permanent collection of the Kitchener Waterloo Art Gallery). At the time, Charles Street actually ended at Ontario Street and the entire block between Ontario and Queen housed businesses and residential buildings. There was not a through street at the time.

The brothers were strong advocates to have Charles extended in order to turn it into an important arterial road for the city. Ultimately the City of Kitchener agreed and did extend it until it hit Benton Street. Then by the mid 1960s, it was extended once more until it hit Cedar Street. City planners eventually said "why not make it even longer?". So they began to extend it as far as they could, until it merged with King Street East.

The large building you refer to was Bullas Furniture.  The wonderful Art Deco mermaid sculptures that were out front are now installed in the Centre in the Square.  
https://localwiki.org/kitchener/The_Bull...%28pair%29

https://www.therecord.com/life/2020/04/1...quare.html
Share your vision and help transform the future of Downtown Kitchener

Downtown Kitchener is at a key point in its evolution, and it’s time to develop a new, community-led vision for the future. The City of Kitchener and the Downtown Community Working Group are looking for your input, your vision and your ideas to help shape and transform Downtown Kitchener into a downtown for all.

We’re calling on all residents, visitors, businesses, educational institutions, and property owners, to help shape a new vision and set of principles for Downtown Kitchener that reflects the unique characteristics of our community.

Over the past 20 years, Downtown Kitchener has evolved into a thriving centre of great places to live, amazing companies to work for, delicious places to eat and awesome venues to enjoy events with family and friends! Downtown Kitchener’s renewal has been built on strategic investments in innovation, education and expansion - fueled by the ION LRT, post-secondary educational institutions, a growing technology and knowledge-based economy, and the continuing growth of people and housing. There is still much more to be achieved, and that is where community involvement is crucial.

"Downtown Kitchener is the foundation upon which our community is built upon – its where you find the beating heart and soul of our community and its people,” said Mayor Berry Vrbanovic. “Whether you live, work or play in the Downtown – as Downtown Kitchener continues to evolve and grow, it's crucial that we work together to establish a shared vision for DTK both for today and far into the future.”

Share your ideas by taking the online survey until Mar. 31, 2023.

In addition to the online survey, there will be pop-up events in Mar., where members of the community can share their ideas and input in person.

For upcoming pop-up events and to take the online survey, visit engagewr.ca/dtkvision.
(02-27-2023, 01:49 PM)KaiserWilhelmsBust Wrote:
(02-27-2023, 12:53 PM)JJTL Wrote: Good morning, I see there is a demo crew out at the corner of Queen and Joseph taking down the old pink house. I believe the address is 178 Queen St. S.

Any ideas on what's potentially going in here?

A local developer bought the two houses to try to get the edge on assembling that corner for a high rise. Nothing will happen for a long time though

Is that the corner house (now demolished) and the one next to it on Queen St S?

(02-28-2023, 03:05 PM)Acitta Wrote: Share your vision and help transform the future of Downtown Kitchener

Downtown Kitchener is at a key point in its evolution, and it’s time to develop a new, community-led vision for the future. The City of Kitchener and the Downtown Community Working Group are looking for your input, your vision and your ideas to help shape and transform Downtown Kitchener into a downtown for all.

We’re calling on all residents, visitors, businesses, educational institutions, and property owners, to help shape a new vision and set of principles for Downtown Kitchener that reflects the unique characteristics of our community.

Over the past 20 years, Downtown Kitchener has evolved into a thriving centre of great places to live, amazing companies to work for, delicious places to eat and awesome venues to enjoy events with family and friends! Downtown Kitchener’s renewal has been built on strategic investments in innovation, education and expansion - fueled by the ION LRT, post-secondary educational institutions, a growing technology and knowledge-based economy, and the continuing growth of people and housing. There is still much more to be achieved, and that is where community involvement is crucial.

"Downtown Kitchener is the foundation upon which our community is built upon – its where you find the beating heart and soul of our community and its people,” said Mayor Berry Vrbanovic. “Whether you live, work or play in the Downtown – as Downtown Kitchener continues to evolve and grow, it's crucial that we work together to establish a shared vision for DTK both for today and far into the future.”

Share your ideas by taking the online survey until Mar. 31, 2023.

In addition to the online survey, there will be pop-up events in Mar., where members of the community can share their ideas and input in person.

For upcoming pop-up events and to take the online survey, visit engagewr.ca/dtkvision.
*cracks knuckles* Time for us to shine!

(I am focusing my comments on more green space throughout DTK with a focus on kid-friendly spaces, a much higher availability of bike parking throughout DTK by removing one street parking spot per block and replacing it with 6 bike spots that are sheltered from sun/rain, and creating a true 15-minute neighbourhood downtown by encouraging some larger box stores to develop spaces like the massive parking lot at Charles/Water or refurbishing Market Square, so we don't have to be going out to the big shopping centres at the edge of town to access those stores).
(02-28-2023, 03:24 PM)SF22 Wrote: *cracks knuckles* Time for us to shine!

(I am focusing my comments on more green space throughout DTK with a focus on kid-friendly spaces, a much higher availability of bike parking throughout DTK by removing one street parking spot per block and replacing it with 6 bike spots that are sheltered from sun/rain, and creating a true 15-minute neighbourhood downtown by encouraging some larger box stores to develop spaces like the massive parking lot at Charles/Water or refurbishing Market Square, so we don't have to be going out to the big shopping centres at the edge of town to access those stores).

[Image: DependableVigilantHypsilophodon-max-1mb.gif]
Retail, retail, green space, and retail. Some buskers would be fun.
Any further, meaningful and useful transformation downtown will include cleaning up the shanty towns and providing the people living the with real, practical solutions. And not listening to NIMBYS who fight to prevent the redevelopment of literal unused parking lots and so on. By building more public spaces (be it bike lanes, paths parks, art and heck just stuff like trash cans, benches, water fountains, toilets) and so on.

The problems this city (and region) are so obvious. Clean it up, help the people and make it easier to live. Do they really need to crowdsource this shit? Lol we've been building cities for as long as humans have been around, it's not like there are still missing puzzle pieces. There's only a lack of ambition and funding.
(02-28-2023, 11:48 PM)ac3r Wrote: Any further, meaningful and useful transformation downtown will include cleaning up the shanty towns and providing the people living the with real, practical solutions. And not listening to NIMBYS who fight to prevent the redevelopment of literal unused parking lots and so on. By building more public spaces (be it bike lanes, paths parks, art and heck just stuff like trash cans, benches, water fountains, toilets) and so on.

The problems this city (and region) are so obvious. Clean it up, help the people and make it easier to live. Do they really need to crowdsource this shit? Lol we've been building cities for as long as humans have been around, it's not like there are still missing puzzle pieces. There's only a lack of ambition and funding.

Somehow many Western societies have shanty towns these days, not just Kitchener. And of course in other places there are informal settlements too. I mean, yes, with money we could solve it, but who is willing to pay the taxes? I am, but that's not how it works. I guess I'm just saying that, yes, it is a question of political will, but finding the will is not easy.

Some places are working on it, e.g. Wellington NZ just opened social housing with 74 2BR/3BR rentals: https://twitter.com/WgtnCC/status/1630743105161908224. Slow progress; better than negative progress but maybe not good enough yet.
If I were to make comments they would include as a top priority, less cars in DTK. More car free streets.

Make king street a pedestrian European like square/ mall... Cafes and shops. No cars.
(03-01-2023, 07:50 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Make king street a pedestrian European like square/ mall... Cafes and shops.  No cars.

Agreed
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »