Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
(06-06-2022, 02:02 PM)TMKM94 Wrote: According to Bob Tiffin on the Remembering CKCO facebook page, they are moving the studio and Radio stations (Bounce 99.5 and Virgin 105.3) to this building.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/gKusGC31VmQ46DML8

Well that certainly couldn't be any further way from the downtown core...  Oh well

I wonder why they'd be moving all the way out there. Maybe they've just outgrown the current building? Though I can't imagine they have all that many staff when so much of media has changed now, especially with a greater ability for people to work from home.
(06-06-2022, 04:08 PM)ac3r Wrote: I wonder why they'd be moving all the way out there. Maybe they've just outgrown the current building? Though I can't imagine they have all that many staff when so much of media has changed now, especially with a greater ability for people to work from home.

Cheaper rent?
(06-06-2022, 03:01 PM)westwardloo Wrote:
(06-06-2022, 01:35 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: It would be interesting to know what would happen if some of these were still independent. I mean it’s a natural thing for CTV to centralize and standardize everything; but if CKCO were still a separate business, that wouldn’t be an option (short of selling out, obviously, which actually happened decades ago). Of course, maybe the answer would be that a standalone TV station isn’t a viable business in today’s economic environment.

Somehow Hamilton was able to keep a local channel in CHCH. The centralization of media is one of the most disappointing things in todays world. All of our news agencies are owned and for the most part produced from toronto, which means none of them have a real vestide interest in spending money to provide meaningful stories that affect our community. its just watered down toronto news.

Centralization of everything...

It's crazy how centralized almost all of our stuff is, media is only one of the more noticeable industries.
(06-06-2022, 04:40 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(06-06-2022, 04:08 PM)ac3r Wrote: I wonder why they'd be moving all the way out there. Maybe they've just outgrown the current building? Though I can't imagine they have all that many staff when so much of media has changed now, especially with a greater ability for people to work from home.

Cheaper rent?

And especially so relative to a likely owned building sitting on primo real estate.
(06-06-2022, 04:57 PM)cherrypark Wrote:
(06-06-2022, 04:40 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Cheaper rent?

And especially so relative to a likely owned building sitting on primo real estate.

0.65 ha (1.6 acres) of prime real estate across the street from the hospital. Office building has not seen a renovation in 20+ years.

I assume that Bell decided they didn't want to be in the real estate business and would rather rent class 1 office space and sell the existing property. Choosing the strip mall near Sportsworld will provide easy parking for their vehicles (a TV station uses many more than a radio station).
(06-06-2022, 05:53 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(06-06-2022, 04:57 PM)cherrypark Wrote: And especially so relative to a likely owned building sitting on primo real estate.

0.65 ha (1.6 acres) of prime real estate across the street from the hospital. Office building has not seen a renovation in 20+ years.

I assume that Bell decided they didn't want to be in the real estate business and would rather rent class 1 office space and sell the existing property. Choosing the strip mall near Sportsworld will provide easy parking for their vehicles (a TV station uses many more than a radio station).

I can understand why Bell would want to sell the prime real estate and rent somewhere. but it is disappointing that media continues to abandon this region in the name of centralization, especially the downtown cores. I know the hospital isn't exactly the core, but still. First rogers moves 570 news to the boardwalk, then the record decides to shut down its office (which just means give KW toronto news with a small section of local coverage) now CTV is moving to sportsworld. Luckily CBC actually invested in a space downtown and provides us with at least 2 hours of solid local stories each day.

You can probably see Baden Hill from the roof without a tower.
It is also in a 'central' location as far as driving distance to both Cambridge and KW, as well as places along the 401.
(06-07-2022, 08:24 AM)westwardloo Wrote:
(06-06-2022, 05:53 PM)tomh009 Wrote: 0.65 ha (1.6 acres) of prime real estate across the street from the hospital. Office building has not seen a renovation in 20+ years.

I can understand why Bell would want to sell the prime real estate and rent somewhere. but it is disappointing that media continues to abandon this region in the name of centralization, especially the downtown cores. I know the hospital isn't exactly the core, but still. First rogers moves 570 news to the boardwalk, then the record decides to shut down its office (which just means give KW toronto news with a small section of local coverage) now CTV is moving to sportsworld. Luckily CBC actually invested in a space downtown and provides us with at least 2 hours of solid local stories each day.
I find it disappointing that they're moving also. I think they are in the perfect location now. I remember when 107.5 Dave Rocks and 91.5 The Beat were in The Kitchener Farmers market building. Since we're becoming a metro area we should have our TV stations and preferably most of our radio stations in Downtown/Midtown/Uptown. I'm going to miss the aerial view they show on Your Morning once they move.
Calling it here first… IN8 developments is going to go bankrupt.
(06-13-2022, 11:13 PM)CP42 Wrote: Calling it here first… IN8 developments is going to go bankrupt.

Interesting take. They have fairly significant cash behind them from GTA players so I'd imagine if they did for some reason you'd see them return in another incarnation.
(06-14-2022, 12:14 AM)Lens Wrote:
(06-13-2022, 11:13 PM)CP42 Wrote: Calling it here first… IN8 developments is going to go bankrupt.

Interesting take. They have fairly significant cash behind them from GTA players so I'd imagine if they did for some reason you'd see them return in another incarnation.

Purely speculation on my part… but if there’s a significant downturn I wouldn’t be shocked if they were the first to go, given their current strategy which has seemed to rely very heavily on the prospect of continuous growth in the real estate market

Presuming someone would likely buy up those lands with approvals in hand, I'm not losing any sleep over that if it means them reworking a bit to market a better product.
Fencing around most of the Manulife parking lot between Charles, Water, and Joseph 🧐

[Image: HNFGQJk.jpg]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »