Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
(10-13-2022, 02:10 PM)ac3r Wrote: Some small updates. I won't start any threads since there isn't much to say about these yet. But...

1. There's 196 stacked townhouses proposed for 2155 Strasburg Road

This must mean the extension is going to be opened/completed at some point before this is approved. So there may be a time frame... somewhere? All info has disappeared from the city's website since the redesign a few years back.

(10-13-2022, 02:10 PM)ac3r Wrote: Some small updates. I won't start any threads since there isn't much to say about these yet. But...

1. There's a 15 and 18 floor mixed use development proposed for 20 Sportsworld Crossing
  2. There's 196 stacked townhouses proposed for 2155 Strasburg Road

Just looking at addresses on google maps, that sportsworld "mall" is 50 Sportsworld Crossing... does that make 20 Ye's sushi? or is that the La Z Boy?
(10-16-2022, 08:05 PM)GtwoK Wrote:

1. There's a 15 and 18 floor mixed use development proposed for 20 Sportsworld Crossing
  2. There's 196 stacked townhouses proposed for 2155 Strasburg Road

Just looking at addresses on google maps, that sportsworld "mall" is 50 Sportsworld Crossing... does that make 20 Ye's sushi? or is that the La Z Boy?

Pretty sure 20 is the vacant corner lot at King and Sportsworld Drive.
(10-16-2022, 10:00 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(10-16-2022, 08:05 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Just looking at addresses on google maps, that sportsworld "mall" is 50 Sportsworld Crossing... does that make 20 Ye's sushi? or is that the La Z Boy?

Pretty sure 20 is the vacant corner lot at King and Sportsworld Drive.

Ah, but if it were, I'd have to imagine it's address would not be 20 Sportsworld CROSSING, no? Sportsworld Drive is a different street, and Heldmann Road is also inbetween it and SW Crossing
Based on the data on the Kitchener GIS. The addresses for sports world crossing increase from the King Side to the Sportsworld Dr side. 25 Sportsworld Crossing is the vacant lot across from Lazy Boy. The large building is 50. The Lazy Boy site could make sense but it’s currently an address on King.
(09-20-2022, 01:16 PM)Chris Wrote:
(09-14-2022, 08:36 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: 83-93 Ontario St was recently painted (not entirely done yet it seems) and has a new facade on the storefronts. I'm not generally a fan of painting over brick, but this one seems better than just about any other examples in our city. It's also nice to see something painted brighter, instead of Kitchener's staple black/grey.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=8340]

Updated photo with the flashing installed above the store fronts taken today at lunch.

(09-20-2022, 02:34 PM)Joedelay Highhoe Wrote: That looks soooo much worse. I really hate this monochrome white/grey/black fad that's happening right now.

Just to make things worse, today I encountered a repaint of a repaint. This is 294 Chandler Dr, which faces Ottawa at Westmount. From Street View, its paint job from about 2012:

[Image: ed1htnW.png]

And after a repaint sometime in the last year:

[Image: 3VE60Ix.jpg]
I looked at an apartment in that building once.

FWIW...I like the new repaint, aside from looking fresher, I think it looks more balanced.

That being said, it's a building with A/C...it should be painted white.

(10-24-2022, 02:36 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(09-20-2022, 01:16 PM)Chris Wrote: Updated photo with the flashing installed above the store fronts taken today at lunch.

(09-20-2022, 02:34 PM)Joedelay Highhoe Wrote: That looks soooo much worse. I really hate this monochrome white/grey/black fad that's happening right now.

Just to make things worse, today I encountered a repaint of a repaint. This is 294 Chandler Dr, which faces Ottawa at Westmount. From Street View, its paint job from about 2012:

[Image: ed1htnW.png]

And after a repaint sometime in the last year:

[Image: 3VE60Ix.jpg]
Growing up in Laurentian hills I'll always remember seeing this building towering over the area with its Concrete and Brick apartment block look.
Circa: 2009
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.4205531,-...312!8i6656

The new look is an improvement on the last paint over.

The painting is done now. The doors are black, and the street-level retail is painted ... blue, not black! :O Admittedly it's not easy to see in a photo, but I would characterize it as a (somewhat greyish) blue.
Can I nominate the owner of 185 Kehl St, Kitchener for the best building paint job in the Region? No submarine is going to sink that battleship!*  (I would post the picture here, but I've never figured it out)

* For the historically minded, Dazzle Camouflage was used in WWI and WWII to foil enemies.
My kids love that building and comment on it every time we drive by on the 8
The building at the corner of Esson and Union was getting painted last time I rode the iron horse, it was a nice brown brick before...
(10-24-2022, 09:44 PM)nms Wrote: Can I nominate the owner of 185 Kehl St, Kitchener for the best building paint job in the Region? No submarine is going to sink that battleship!*  (I would post the picture here, but I've never figured it out)

* For the historically minded, Dazzle Camouflage was used in WWI and WWII to foil enemies.

I have always loved that building. The colours are not only interesting, but the architecture is super unique. Reminds me of the sort of post-war modernism found in Parisian banlieues.

(10-25-2022, 06:37 AM)clasher Wrote: The building at the corner of Esson and Union was getting painted last time I rode the iron horse, it was a nice brown brick before...

The Trafalgar Apartments. What an absolute CRIME to paint that brick. Should be illegal!

In other news, I only saw it from afar but the Radisson has suffered the same fate. Gray and black. Gross.
I noticed the hotel as well. Ugly. The entire city will be monochrome.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »