Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
(11-29-2022, 12:58 PM)ac3r Wrote: IMO I'd wait until we at least know what's going in there and create a thread accordingly (listing address, building height and proposal) once it's announced. Problem with starting a thread early is that you get pages of speculation, then a project is announced and buried in the middle of the thread since it's not often the OP post gets updated. It makes things confusing to find for people.

Agreed. City staff said they anticipate the submission early in the new year. This needs a ZBA so we will get all the docs and specs available to us. Unlike 10 Duke st which we know nothing about. But who knows when they will start selling given the market situation

Councillors approve developments with hundreds of new apartments, condos across Kitchener 
Projects include multiple highrises, some deeply affordable units

• 4220 King St. E. and 25 Sportsworld Crossing Rd.
  • 1251-1253 King St. E. and 16 Sheldon Ave. S.
  • 206 to 210 Duke St. E. and 46 to 50 Madison Ave. N.
  • 3241-3247 King St. E. and 108 Cameo Dr.

One little quibble, the article claims that the Duke/Madison project is 2 minutes walk from Kitchener Market Station. Seems a bit short to me. Google Maps says 5 minutes.
Vacant lot at 225 King St W is for sale:

https://realtor.ca/real-estate/25150676/...arelisting
(12-27-2022, 02:17 PM)CP42 Wrote: Vacant lot at 225 King St W is for sale:

https://realtor.ca/real-estate/25150676/...onsumerapp&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=socialsharelisting

It's small but substantially bigger than 271 King St E, so it would certainly work for a small apartment building with a retail unit on the ground floor. I do think the maximum floor plate, even with a substantial variance, would be too small to be attractive for office space.
Please, please, please, somebody buy it and build something (anything!) there.
(12-27-2022, 05:24 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Please, please, please, somebody buy it and build something (anything!) there.

It would still leave a roughly 6m (20') gap between the new building and King Centre Manulife Google whatever, but I think that's quite acceptable if we can get a building on the bigger property in that gap.
(12-27-2022, 07:56 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(12-27-2022, 05:24 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Please, please, please, somebody buy it and build something (anything!) there.

It would still leave a roughly 6m (20') gap between the new building and King Centre Manulife Google whatever, but I think that's quite acceptable if we can get a building on the bigger property in that gap.

This property IS the gap.

There should be something nice coming there! :'> Unless anything changes...
(12-27-2022, 09:54 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(12-27-2022, 07:56 PM)tomh009 Wrote: It would still leave a roughly 6m (20') gap between the new building and King Centre Manulife Google whatever, but I think that's quite acceptable if we can get a building on the bigger property in that gap.

But there are two separate properties there, no?
(12-27-2022, 10:13 PM)ac3r Wrote: There should be something nice coming there! :'> Unless anything changes...

When you say something nice, do you mean architecturally nice or tall building nice. Blink once if it’s the former and blink twice if it’s the latter
Looks like they've added planters and flexible bollards on Gaukel between Charles and Halls Lane. Wish it would continue all the way to King but still looks pretty good IMO. 

Can't seem to upload pics but here's a link if you still use Twitter: 

https://twitter.com/matthewrappolt/statu...0126332928
(12-27-2022, 09:54 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(12-27-2022, 07:56 PM)tomh009 Wrote: It would still leave a roughly 6m (20') gap between the new building and King Centre Manulife Google whatever, but I think that's quite acceptable if we can get a building on the bigger property in that gap.

There are two separate properties in that gap.
Does anyone know what the build is at Westmount and Laurentian? In the Freshco plaza. It's been vacant for years, after the gas station moved out.

It looks like it could be a boring medical office. Hoping for something more.

(01-01-2023, 04:26 PM)jeffster Wrote: Does anyone know what the build is at Westmount and Laurentian? In the Freshco plaza. It's been vacant for years, after the gas station moved out.

It's a new commerical building being built by Copper Bay Homes, its one of their first commercial projects, most of there other projects are just custom single family homes with a few multi residential buildings. 

The permit is 22108001, it says "Permit is for the shell only for a retail drug store and professional offices building." So chances are there are going to be some medical offices within the building as you suspect.
(01-01-2023, 06:09 PM)ZEBuilder Wrote:
(01-01-2023, 04:26 PM)jeffster Wrote: Does anyone know what the build is at Westmount and Laurentian? In the Freshco plaza. It's been vacant for years, after the gas station moved out.

It's a new commerical building being built by Copper Bay Homes, its one of their first commercial projects, most of there other projects are just custom single family homes with a few multi residential buildings. 

The permit is 22108001, it says "Permit is for the shell only for a retail drug store and professional offices building." So chances are there are going to be some medical offices within the building as you suspect.

So basically a Rexall with doctors offices on top. Nice. Exciting. Actually, since I live close to there, it will be nice being close to a Rexall that is less chaotic than the one on Highland. I am guessing a Rexall. There is an IDA already in that plaza but selection is poor there.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »