Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
(03-04-2023, 12:29 AM)Acitta Wrote:
(03-03-2023, 11:49 PM)ac3r Wrote: A very OG term for that building haha. Few people refer to it these days. It's a bit like Mount Trashmore. You can tell someone is new when they call it McLennan Park.

I have lived in Kitchener for 21 years, but I don't know what building is "the Dolly Parton tower".

The one with big tiddies on the top ( . Y . ). 55 King West, originally built for TD as their main office but which is now occupied primarily by Oracle Software.

[Image: 46Me8nK.jpg]

Isn’t it intended to be doubled at the back to reach Charles? I assume after this much time there is little likelihood of the original plan being built, even assuming I recall correctly.
(03-04-2023, 07:54 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: Isn’t it intended to be doubled at the back to reach Charles? I assume after this much time there is little likelihood of the original plan being built, even assuming I recall correctly.

Yes, that was the original plan but it died many years ago.  No reason why it couldn't be resurrected, I suppose.
(03-04-2023, 12:29 AM)Acitta Wrote:
(03-03-2023, 11:49 PM)ac3r Wrote: A very OG term for that building haha. Few people refer to it these days. It's a bit like Mount Trashmore. You can tell someone is new when they call it McLennan Park.

I have lived in Kitchener for 21 years, but I don't know what building is "the Dolly Parton tower".

I didn't want to confuse people by saying "next to the old Waterloo Trust".
I think it was Canada Trust by the time that building was built. And then TD built their fancy building at King and Francis. And then they got together.
(03-04-2023, 07:36 PM)nms Wrote: I think it was Canada Trust by the time that building was built. And then TD built their fancy building at King and Francis. And then they got together.

Well when your roof looks like that...

That might have been the case, though (it being Canada Trust at some point), I'm unsure. I do know TD also had offices there for a long time in addition to the offices at 381 King West. They used to have the green TD signs at the top on either side of the building before moving out, presumably due to downsizing. In the 50s they also had that nice building at Frederick/Benton/King, so they've always had quite a presence here.
(03-04-2023, 10:26 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(03-04-2023, 12:29 AM)Acitta Wrote: I have lived in Kitchener for 21 years, but I don't know what building is "the Dolly Parton tower".

I didn't want to confuse people by saying "next to the old Waterloo Trust".

305 King St W definitely started its life as Waterloo Trust Tower, but was that name still used when 55 King St W construction was started? By the time they finished the building, I think TD had already purchased Canada Trust, which had in turn purchased Waterloo Trust much earlier.

(03-06-2023, 01:28 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(03-04-2023, 10:26 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I didn't want to confuse people by saying "next to the old Waterloo Trust".

305 King St W definitely started its life as Waterloo Trust Tower, but was that name still used when 55 King St W construction was started? By the time they finished the building, I think TD had already purchased Canada Trust, which had in turn purchased Waterloo Trust much earlier.

To me, 305 King is the new Waterloo Trust building.
(03-06-2023, 02:49 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(03-06-2023, 01:28 PM)tomh009 Wrote: 305 King St W definitely started its life as Waterloo Trust Tower, but was that name still used when 55 King St W construction was started? By the time they finished the building, I think TD had already purchased Canada Trust, which had in turn purchased Waterloo Trust much earlier.

To me, 305 King is the new Waterloo Trust building.

Canada Trust took over Waterloo Trust in 1968; 305 King St W was finished in 1964.  TD acquired Canada Trust in 2000.  Skyscraper Page says that 55 King St W was completed in 1992.
The City of Kitchener has a survey about what people want at the Kitchener Market.
Make it your Kitchener Market

We want to build the Kitchener Market around you.

The Kitchener Market is more than a building, it’s a community. It’s a place to connect people, create experiences and build relationships.

The Kitchener Market currently offers a diverse range of events, workshops, cooking classes, vendors selling fresh produce, artisanal products, and more. We want to build upon the market’s history and strong foundation to create an even better market and community space for all visitors.

Help us improve the market and continue to evolve and grow as a vibrant, dynamic, and inviting community space. We are looking for new programming ideas and reimagining what the indoor and outdoor spaces are used for. How can we better serve the needs of our community?

Even if you’ve never visited the Kitchener Market, or only visit now and then, we’d love to hear from you. Your feedback will help us to make Kitchener Market a thriving multiuse community and market space for everyone in our city.
There's construction happening at the location of the old Weston's outlet store at 632 Victoria Street North, but no signage on the fencing about what's happening, at least that I could see while at the stoplight yesterday. They are installing some upright structural bones, so there's definitely a new building happening there. I'm not certain if the property is still owned by the new non-Weston's bakery (there was a towing company occupying the old outlet store for a while), so hard to say if it's just an expansion of the bakery or not. Mostly curious if anyone has any insight on this!
At one point I thought that Crosby Volkswagen was to relocate there...
(03-14-2023, 09:26 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: At one point I thought that Crosby Volkswagen was to relocate there...

I think that's it! I found a post on their FB account with the site progress, and I can clearly see the Tesla sign in the background. Thanks!

A lot of car dealership action happening on Victoria, lately. There's that new Porsche dealership getting built down between Centennial and Forwell, next to the Mercedes shop.

Fitting, given that Victoria is a car sewer.
(03-14-2023, 09:47 AM)SF22 Wrote:
(03-14-2023, 09:26 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: At one point I thought that Crosby Volkswagen was to relocate there...

I think that's it! I found a post on their FB account with the site progress, and I can clearly see the Tesla sign in the background. Thanks!

A lot of car dealership action happening on Victoria, lately. There's that new Porsche dealership getting built down between Centennial and Forwell, next to the Mercedes shop.

Yes,  I thought it would have made more sense for them to build down near Centennial as well...
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »