Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One Columbia | 22 fl | Complete
Ah, thank you. That makes sense. That seems like it should go without saying, but that makes sense.

Seems odd. If the original build allowed for a business requiring this many parking spaces, would they not have to have been provided in the building itself? Otherwise, this would seem to be something outside of what was originally proposed and approved.
I seem to recall that the material about 1 Columbia before had a conspicuous absence of mention of ground floor retail. I suspect that the building, and its parking, were approved based on no commercial uses. Adding commercial requires an additional 3 spaces per 100m2, at least according to the old MR-25 zoning.
Of course, it's possible that they couldn't find a tenant without offering a visible parking lot.

The staff response basically says that there's no utilities impact, so it's all good.
(10-26-2014, 11:36 AM)Spokes Wrote:
(10-26-2014, 11:09 AM)REnerd Wrote: In fairness, KW4Rent owns at least half of the ugly student projects.  Schembri owns the other half.  Smile

Fair enough.

I should have said every ugly project on Columbia, and half the ugly projects in Northdale.
While driving around Northdale, I became aware in the last few weeks of the Schembri name on many small, medium and large projects as the rental agent and property manager. Have they just re-done all the signs to reflect the "Schembri" brand or did I just miss the name over many years. I haven't rented a property there for almost ten years and then that was for my son.

Is there a real owner/person "Schembri"? 

Does this "person"  Schembri live in Waterloo region or just an absent Toronto owner, landlord or errant property management group?
(08-09-2015, 06:40 PM)MacBerry Wrote: Is there a real owner/person "Schembri"?

The Google leads to news articles that mention a Mr Gordon Schembri. I do not think this is entirely coincidental.
However, I believe Schembri is basically a property manager, and not necessarily the owner of all said buildings.
Yes, and he lives in Baden.

Apparently Schembri signed a deal with the property management company The Marq (Centurion) and will not be responsible for the property management side of their buildings.

Source
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »