Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Arts and Culture News
(10-04-2023, 07:19 PM)Acitta Wrote: It is only a 30-minute bike ride from downtown Kitchener. I have frequently biked past there over the past 22 years, though I never got around to visiting the heritige village and only visited the Museum once, when it first opened. I don't see being in the suburbs something that would keep people away, especially for the car addicted.

I think it's a bigger pain to get to without a car than you are giving credit for. But you're completely right that most of the city has a car and the location is not a deterrence for them. In fact, being somewhere like downtown would probably be a bigger deterrence for them.

(10-04-2023, 05:44 PM)KevinL Wrote: Yeah, the museum might not exist if the suburban location with ideal property, already holding a heritage institution, had not been pre-existing. It is unfortunate that it's on an arterial road with poor transit access, especially now that more of the population is moving on from cars.

There had been a consideration of adding a bus stop closer by, but our legendary regional traffic engineers wouldn't permit a pedestrian crossing to allow stops in both directions, so another unfortunate reality.

There has thankfully been a really extensive MUT installed along Homer Watson that is significantly separated from the road that passes right in front of the museum - it goes from about Ottawa/Homer Watson roundabout all the way down to New Dundee Rd/the Conestoga College campus entrance. That's 8km+ of continuous MUT that connects to a bunch of other trails/bike paths along the way. Don't get me wrong, it's potentially a really long ride for a novice cyclist, but there's some decent connectivity there!
City partners with Toronto’s Caribana Arts Group to bring CaribanaTM Ignite to Kitchener
(02-01-2024, 09:34 PM)Acitta Wrote: City partners with Toronto’s Caribana Arts Group to bring CaribanaTM Ignite to Kitchener

That's great! Really looking forward to that (and the food vendors)!
Another shot across the bow in the Kitchener vs Waterloo cultural landscape.  The Waterloo Buskers Carnival runs August 22 to 25, 2024.

Also, was it lazy copy and paste that promoted the superscript "TM" to a regular sized TM in the press release?
(02-03-2024, 09:52 PM)nms Wrote: Another shot across the bow in the Kitchener vs Waterloo cultural landscape.  The Waterloo Buskers Carnival runs August 22 to 25, 2024.

Two weeks after the Blues festival, and three weeks after the main Caribana event. My assumptions are that (1) Caribana wants to do the Ignite after their main event, and that Kitchener didn't want to big events on consecutive weekends. So, it ended up at 23-24 August.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »