Waterloo Region Connected
King Street underpass at the transit hub - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: King Street underpass at the transit hub (/showthread.php?tid=338)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - kps - 04-27-2016

(04-27-2016, 05:03 PM)isUsername Wrote: I know that the track is temporary, but I believe that the design is supposed to allow for an eventual third track.

Yes, I found a rendering of the future configuration:

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - DHLawrence - 04-27-2016

As long as they're smart enough to leave room.

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - GtwoK - 04-28-2016

Someine needs to get out there and get some great pics (I am far too lazy and sick today)!

Was driving past an hour ago and they've started to dig away the dirt underneath the bridge and inside the foundation walls. You can see the 2 tunnels that King St will travel through now!

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - tomh009 - 04-28-2016

(04-28-2016, 07:19 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Someine needs to get out there and get some great pics (I am far too lazy and sick today)!

Was driving past an hour ago and they've started to dig away the dirt underneath the bridge and inside the foundation walls. You can see the 2 tunnels that King St will travel through now!

Where is the access to get close enough for photos?

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - GtwoK - 04-28-2016

Is there still a sidewalk running along the King St side of the pharmacy school? I'm sure that would be a good enough vantage point. It's visible enough form Victoria as is!

All right ... tomorrow! (As long as someone else doesn't beat me to it!)

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - Canard - 04-28-2016

Oh no!! We're back into that "it's happening too fast!" phase!!

I keep having pangs of dread when the construction is all over. Sad This has been so much fun to follow.

There will be some nice BBD trains to make up for the lack of construction though! Smile

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - chutten - 04-29-2016

This is as close as I could get without climbing on something... and still I climbed on something to get the angle.

Quite a lot more's been excavated out, I think. I can't quite tell, but when I cross the tracks I notice how much higher the dirt pile is (that one south of the span that's blocking views into the caves in the picture) than the span sits.

I work on the ground floor of a building just out of frame. The ground's been shaking all week.

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - Canard - 04-29-2016

I didn't realize it would be a split portal - left and right sides with a centre support. Interesting!

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - Viewfromthe42 - 04-29-2016

Looks like the reversal of a cityscape being swallowed by a sandstorm. If they'd been smart, this would have been the *perfect* timelapse as they dug it out.

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - kps - 04-29-2016

(04-29-2016, 03:03 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Looks like the reversal of a cityscape being swallowed by a sandstorm. If they'd been smart, this would have been the *perfect* timelapse as they dug it out.

Once upon a time, it was stated that
Quote:Time-lapse cameras have been installed on the roof of the University of Waterloo School of Pharmacy at the corner of King Street and Victoria Street in Kitchener to capture the work.

Apropos of which, can anyone recommend software (for *nix or maybe OS X) for producing time lapse video? I have an almost complete series of hourly photos from the construction of the Red Condo building a couple years ago, but there are some gaps due to power cuts and at one point an unavoidable pan/jerk.

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - Canard - 04-29-2016

Quicktime can natively open an image stream and save it as a video, if you have a Mac.

I've used virtualdub for years for making animations of projects in SolidWorks. It's heavy on options, but works beautifully. Import into Windows Movie Maker and save as a nice high-quality, very reasonably sized WMV.

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - tomh009 - 04-29-2016

Work got in the way, and chutten beat me to it, posting the photo three hours earlier.  But here are some more, since I went to the effort of hauling a "proper" camera out there. Smile

Construction with Google.

Yes, we have cranes!

Even mobile cranes!

Working under the watch of the Google Waterloo HQ.

On the other hand, Mr Mallard is non-plussed about the whole underpass.

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - GtwoK - 04-29-2016

It's Canard!