Waterloo Region Connected
King Street underpass at the transit hub - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: King Street underpass at the transit hub (/showthread.php?tid=338)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - Canard - 08-15-2016

(08-15-2016, 07:05 PM)Square Wrote: Will it be 1 set or 2 set of track/s on the bridge?

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - KevinL - 08-15-2016

Was there not supposed to be room for 3? Or is there still space for a third?

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - Canard - 08-15-2016

Pretty sure we went through this a few months ago and determined it was 2, no? Though admittedly my memory is a bit foggy...

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - Square - 08-15-2016

Thank you.

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - kps - 08-15-2016

The overpass is wide enough for two tracks, but the approach grade currently isn't.

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - timio - 08-15-2016

Canard: Just speculating on Dan's post

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - Canard - 08-18-2016

Trackwork across the new bridge will finish up on Sunday, and the first train over it will be Monday or Tuesday. Second track installation happens in October.

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - BrianT - 08-18-2016

It will be great when it's done and King Street can be opened again!!

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - GtwoK - 08-18-2016

Under the portion of King yet to be dug up, will underground utilities need to be installed? Or do sewer, etc, run elsewhere? I'm sure at least storm drains will need to go in.

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - kps - 08-20-2016

Friday afternoon.

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - white_brian - 08-20-2016

Just wondering why they would use ballast on the bridge instead of embedded track. Is this to help disperse the vibration or something totally different?

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - ijmorlan - 08-20-2016

(08-20-2016, 06:39 PM)white_brian Wrote: Just wondering why they would use ballast on the bridge instead of embedded track. Is this to help disperse the vibration or something totally different?

I believe mainline railway bridges (at least here in Ontario) almost always use ballasted track. As far as I know it’s exactly the same ballast and track structure as everywhere else, just resting on a bridge deck instead of on the ground. Some bridges, I think older ones, have ties as part of the bridge structure and the tracks attached directly. The old Laurel Creek crossing was like that. I can’t say why for sure, but certainly by doing it this way the track construction technique does not have to differ on and off bridges.

Another note: as far as I can tell, the freight trains on the Waterloo Spur will not travel on *any* embedded track. I don’t know if it is more difficult to embed track up to freight specification or for some other reason.

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - zanate - 08-22-2016

(08-20-2016, 08:04 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Another note: as far as I can tell, the freight trains on the Waterloo Spur will not travel on *any* embedded track. I don’t know if it is more difficult to embed track up to freight specification or for some other reason.

Do the street crossings at Erb, University, Columbia, etc. count as embedded track or are they different from what's running down the middle of King?

Apart from those, though, I think you're right.

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - Markster - 08-22-2016

(08-22-2016, 09:31 AM)zanate Wrote:
(08-20-2016, 08:04 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Another note: as far as I can tell, the freight trains on the Waterloo Spur will not travel on *any* embedded track. I don’t know if it is more difficult to embed track up to freight specification or for some other reason.

Do the street crossings at Erb, University, Columbia, etc. count as embedded track or are they different from what's running down the middle of King?

Apart from those, though, I think you're right.

Those crossings are just ballasted track with some concrete panels placed on top.  
Embedded track would imply tracks cast into concrete. (And that is what's running down the centre of King St)

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - Canard - 08-22-2016

To clarify: No freight traffic travels on embedded track anywhere in the system.