Waterloo Region Connected
King Street underpass at the transit hub - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: King Street underpass at the transit hub (/showthread.php?tid=338)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - BrianT - 04-17-2016

[Image: 26382090712_f369f0469c_k.jpg]They were working Saturday to take advantage of the weather.

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - GtwoK - 04-17-2016

Wow, those overhangs!

Is anybody else weirded out by the fact that this structure is going to be completely dug out underneath, yet this will remain in place, unmoving? It's sitting on dirt right now, but has the ability to completely suspend itself, something feels really unsettling about that to me.

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - Canard - 04-17-2016

Big Grin It is pretty neat.

And yeah, those overhangs are awesome!

As a mechanical designer, I'm very curious what attachment points and so on they've tried to future-proof the platforms for, not having a station design in place at this point.

That view really makes it look like it's just one track with a platform on either side... not two or three tracks.

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - jamincan - 04-17-2016

I think that view is probably a bit deceptive as it kind of looks like an elevated platform on either side of the track, but I suspect it's actually a box girder design and the track level would be flush with the top.

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - Canard - 04-17-2016

Hmm, I see what you're saying, but I don't think that's the case. Have a look at the photos on page 11; you can see that the track portion is definitely sunk, and the two "flanges" on either side are meant to be passenger platforms.

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - BrianT - 04-17-2016

The sketches look like they have made provisions for a third track to be added in the future, just like Weber Street. http://rapidtransit.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/projectinformation/resources/2014-Sc15-2AppendixIAlignmentOMSFDrawings-ConformedSet_Part5.pdf

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - kps - 04-18-2016

(04-17-2016, 09:27 PM)BrianT Wrote: The sketches look like they have made provisions for a third track to be added in the future, just like Weber Street. http://rapidtransit.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/projectinformation/resources/2014-Sc15-2AppendixIAlignmentOMSFDrawings-ConformedSet_Part5.pdf

Good find! (I looked for something like that, but the documents aren't searchable.)

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - BrianT - 04-24-2016

[Image: 26530397022_cfac013af6_k.jpg]
Top deck for the overpass. Looks like there's room for two tracks on the deck.

[Image: 26530392132_4583659b29_k.jpg]
They will soon be digging out the King Street lanes.

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - Canard - 04-24-2016

Wow, great shots! How did you get so close? I've never been able to get that close, because of the fences. Are they down now?

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - BrianT - 04-24-2016

(04-24-2016, 05:12 PM)Canard Wrote: Wow, great shots! How did you get so close? I've never been able to get that close, because of the fences. Are they down now?

The fences were open today. Anyone could walk through. Just after I left, one of the longest freight trains that I've seen in a while went through. It was well over 100 cars.

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - kps - 04-25-2016

Removal of the dome foundations has begun.

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - kps - 04-26-2016

Today in the under(pass)world, they dug out an old retaining wall south of the tracks…

… while a rail crew assembled…

… a little isolated bit of track.

I wonder if it wants to be friends with the little isolated bit of track east of Duke.

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - isUsername - 04-26-2016

A third track certainly fits, but it seems like it would be a bit of a tight squeeze. Not enough for even a service laneway behind the Breithaupt Block, I think.

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - kps - 04-26-2016

(04-26-2016, 10:00 PM)isUsername Wrote: A third track certainly fits, but it seems like it would be a bit of a tight squeeze. Not enough for even a service laneway behind the Breithaupt Block, I think.

It fits (after all, you can see the old abandoned siding underneath) but it's clearly even more temporary than the temporary track, if that's where it's staying, since there isn't even a token attempt at ballast.

I *think* the rail right of way extends right up to the edge of the Breithaupt Block building.

RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - isUsername - 04-27-2016

I know that the track is temporary, but I believe that the design is supposed to allow for an eventual third track.

It seems you're right about the right of way.