Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Acitta - 06-25-2023

(06-25-2023, 04:23 PM)ac3r Wrote: KPL and I believe WPL offer free access to The Record as well. But getting around paywalls and logins is easy enough if you block certain things or just use a VPN.

I was thrown off by the website changes and couldn't use my usual methods to bypass the paywall, but logging in seems to work OK.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - ac3r - 06-26-2023

There's a small midrise proposed for 229 Wellington North, roughly a block away from the Google Canada offices.

A developer wants to construct a 3 floor midrise building behind an existing 2 floor duplex. 13 new units are proposed of various sizes of 1 and 2 bedroom units bringing the total to 15 units.

[Image: uxGDBKr.png]

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - westwardloo - 06-26-2023

(06-26-2023, 02:22 PM)ac3r Wrote: There's a small midrise proposed for 229 Wellington North, roughly a block away from the Google Canada offices.

A developer wants to construct a 3 floor midrise building behind an existing 2 floor duplex. 13 new units are proposed of various sizes of 1 and 2 bedroom units bringing the total to 15 units.

[Image: uxGDBKr.png]
Won't anyone think of the Parking! haha I like it. Perfect type of infil. Design is not great, but not offensive.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - the_conestoga_guy - 06-26-2023

(06-26-2023, 02:22 PM)ac3r Wrote: There's a small midrise proposed for 229 Wellington North, roughly a block away from the Google Canada offices.

Seems like a perfectly good infill project. I like that they're making use of the laneway for parking. I hope we can see more like it!

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - ac3r - 06-26-2023

(06-26-2023, 02:58 PM)westwardloo Wrote: Won't anyone think of the Parking! haha I like it. Perfect type of infil. Design is not great, but not offensive.

The design might not be all that bad. There is a lot of wood being used so that could look great. Unfortunately they are using some dark brick (likely precast). Personally I would do the entire exterior in wood, but using the same dark and light colour scheme. Or, keep the light wood but use dark grey metal instead of brick.

Here's an all wood home using the same light/dark colour scheme. It's by MWArchitekten in Bludenz, Austria.

[Image: H8ATePa.jpg]

Here's a beautiful home in Mölndal, Sweden built by Olsson Lyckefors Arkitektur that shows how nice dark wood can look.

[Image: qqVuyao.jpg]

The Martin Simmons Sweers office which is about 2 minutes away on Breithaupt has a design similar to those below and it looks spectacular.

[Image: kpVDo6J.jpg]

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - westwardloo - 06-27-2023

I can almost guarantee this will not be actual wood siding, but metal panels with a wood look.  All of the examples you showed are beautiful examples of elegant designs. Martin Simmons Sweers office is one of my favorite building in the region. Unfortunately a lot of Architects I worked with in a past career were obsessed with a minimum "three" material design principle. 

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - TMKM94 - 07-28-2023

Not sure if this info would be considered Urban or Suburban. BMO is closing The Highland and Patricia Branch on December 8th and merging it with The Highland Hills branch.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - jeffster - 07-29-2023

(07-28-2023, 10:33 AM)TMKM94 Wrote: Not sure if this info would be considered Urban or Suburban. BMO is closing The Highland and Patricia Branch on December 8th and merging it with The Highland Hills branch.

I was talking to my kid about this bank location - kind of in the middle of no-where. Self-standing bank all by itself.

BMO at the RCS is fairly large, so I am sure they'll have no issues with the extra customers.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - neonjoe - 07-29-2023

BMO is also building a new branch in the Sunfish Shopping Centre.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 07-31-2023

And this one is the stacked townhouse project on Sydney St, close to Weber St E. A more traditional look, but again providing the "missing middle" and much-needed density.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Bytor - 08-01-2023

The Boathouse has construction fencing up around it.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - clasher - 08-01-2023

(08-01-2023, 02:31 PM)Bytor Wrote: The Boathouse has construction fencing up around it.

I'm gonna miss that little public path between the pond and the patio.

I hope they have some good luck with this place, the last iteration didn't really impress me the couple of times I was there.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 08-01-2023

(08-01-2023, 03:50 PM)clasher Wrote:
(08-01-2023, 02:31 PM)Bytor Wrote: The Boathouse has construction fencing up around it.

I'm gonna miss that little public path between the pond and the patio.

I hope they have some good luck with this place, the last iteration didn't really impress me the couple of times I was there.

Really?  It was the best patio in town, imo.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - cbal - 08-01-2023

There's a liquor license application for La Lola Catering posted below the Benton and Charles garage, specifically for 26 Benton. It looks like there's work going on in the old crepe cafe as well, but I think that's a separate address?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - clasher - 08-01-2023

(08-01-2023, 05:20 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(08-01-2023, 03:50 PM)clasher Wrote: I'm gonna miss that little public path between the pond and the patio.

Really?  It was the best patio in town, imo.

The food I had was pretty bad, both times I tried it, months apart. They served my partner some practically unseasoned lentils as the vegan option. Fries were forgettable, service was slow, place was empty too even though it was Saturday evening. The patio is chill and I spent many Sunday nights on the old wooden one back in the day. I also live by the park so I am 'used to it' I guess. Arabella is a nice patio with a much better beer selection, and cornhole!