Waterloo Region Connected
Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 50 fl | U/C - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 50 fl | U/C (/showthread.php?tid=38)

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 44 fl | U/C - CP42 - 05-11-2022

(05-09-2022, 11:13 AM)CP42 Wrote:
(05-09-2022, 11:04 AM)Rofltropter Wrote: Aye, already done so. 

The Developer isn’t required to be honest there, no answer of theirs is legally binding. 

We’re transitioning cities from northern Ontario, hence gauging community sentiment is quite helpful in this case

I’m no expert, but I’d think the September timeframe is reasonable? The building has been fully enclosed for a while and the lower floors already seem to have drywall and cabinetry completed. They still have 4 months to complete the same for the rest and get the appliances in, so I’d think September is doable as long as there aren’t any unforeseen delays. This project has also appeared to move quite quickly compared to others in the region.
Walked by today and counted drywall complete up to floor 11, leaving only 7 floors left to complete in that department. Seems promising!

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 44 fl | U/C - mastermind - 05-11-2022

I believe they're on strike though (drywall tapers), along with much of the construction industry. Interesting to see how long that lasts and what affects it might have.

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 44 fl | U/C - CP42 - 05-11-2022

(05-11-2022, 10:51 PM)mastermind Wrote: I believe they're on strike though (drywall tapers), along with much of the construction industry.  Interesting to see how long that lasts and what affects it might have.

Construction elevators have still been moving. I guess it’s only certain trades?

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 44 fl | U/C - Votemac - 05-12-2022

I visited a few days ago and there still seemed to be a lot of activity going on

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 44 fl | U/C - skyrise32 - 05-12-2022

(05-11-2022, 11:15 PM)CP42 Wrote:
(05-11-2022, 10:51 PM)mastermind Wrote: I believe they're on strike though (drywall tapers), along with much of the construction industry.  Interesting to see how long that lasts and what affects it might have.

Construction elevators have still been moving. I guess it’s only certain trades?

Yes, drywallers, flooring+tile installers, forming carpenters, operators are all on strike. 
Tapers voted yesterday and do not know yet if they are striking..i would lean towards yes but we will see.
Labourers, plumbers, electricians, finish carpenters are all working.
Max strike is 6 weeks.

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 44 fl | U/C - ac3r - 05-12-2022

All the power to them. The buildings can wait if workers are fighting for better treatment.

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 44 fl | U/C - tomh009 - 05-12-2022

(05-12-2022, 12:58 PM)ac3r Wrote: All the power to them. The buildings can wait if workers are fighting for better treatment.

Fundamentally it's about money. I don't have enough information to judge whether they are already fairly paid or not.

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 44 fl | U/C - Acitta - 05-13-2022

(05-12-2022, 11:02 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(05-12-2022, 12:58 PM)ac3r Wrote: All the power to them. The buildings can wait if workers are fighting for better treatment.

Fundamentally it's about money. I don't have enough information to judge whether they are already fairly paid or not.

I read that in Vancouver, companies are having trouble getting construction workers because they 
because they can't afford to find housing in the city where the jobs are. Maybe the situation is similar here.

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 44 fl | U/C - skyrise32 - 05-13-2022

(05-13-2022, 08:08 AM)Acitta Wrote:
(05-12-2022, 11:02 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Fundamentally it's about money. I don't have enough information to judge whether they are already fairly paid or not.

I read that in Vancouver, companies are having trouble getting construction workers because they 
because they can't afford to find housing in the city where the jobs are. Maybe the situation is similar here.

I would say that most union trades are fairly paid, a lot of individuals over paid for their skill levels. But some cases are asking a lot as far as increase over 3 years, from 9$ to 18$ in some cases. I think that most people would like a yearly 3$ raise such as a plumber will get, on top of his already over 40/hour rate. 
Life is getting more expensive, but asking for too much will just continue to drive up costs of construction. Its easy to ask for 15$ increase without really understanding everything, it isn't just that owners are "greedy".

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 44 fl | U/C - Zoo - 05-14-2022

(05-13-2022, 10:45 AM)skyrise32 Wrote:
(05-13-2022, 08:08 AM)Acitta Wrote: I read that in Vancouver, companies are having trouble getting construction workers because they 

I would say that most union trades are fairly paid, a lot of individuals over paid for their skill levels. But some cases are asking a lot as far as increase over 3 years, from 9$ to 18$ in some cases. I think that most people would like a yearly 3$ raise such as a plumber will get, on top of his already over 40/hour rate. 
Life is getting more expensive, but asking for too much will just continue to drive up costs of construction. Its easy to ask for 15$ increase without really understanding everything, it isn't just that owners are "greedy".

This doesn't seem that it has anything to do with owners or developer greed. If costs continue to increase (which they will), there isn't a chance that housing will become more affordable. I am sure that there is a balance somewhere between not enough reward based on the risks and I wonder how far the industry is from that.  Labour is not coming down, materials either, government costs are increasing - it seems that land is the only area where it can fluctuate. I doubt land prices come down and if they do, it won't impact affordability.  

Ignorant question, are trades in high-rise ununionized in Kitchener and affected by the strikes?

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 44 fl | U/C - ZEBuilder - 05-14-2022

(05-14-2022, 02:42 PM)Zoo Wrote: Ignorant question, are trades in high-rise ununionized in Kitchener and affected by the strikes?

Many of the trades are affected by the strike, all of the drewlo sites are completely shut down due to it, and there's been less activity at other sites so there is definitely an affect, the ones that don't seem to be affected are the sites that are using local contactors.

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 44 fl | U/C - nms - 05-15-2022

(05-13-2022, 08:08 AM)Acitta Wrote:
(05-12-2022, 11:02 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Fundamentally it's about money. I don't have enough information to judge whether they are already fairly paid or not.

This is purely anecdotal, but I understand that in some suburban development in Waterloo, it was common the trades who worked on the development often had the opportunity to buy a house directly from the developer during the pre-construction phase. I don't know what others terms of the agreement might have been. This often explained why some new builds of a certain era seemed have certain elements that were well above the norm of what might have been built in the rest of the development (eg fancier plaster ceilings, or more complicated interior carpentry that would have been done by the tradesperson that bought the house). Given the ultimate size of this development, I wonder whether the owners would have the ability to offer various trades or sub-trades the option to buy a unit at a discounted price?

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 44 fl | U/C - CP42 - 05-16-2022

Just got an email for Unavoidable Delay Event First Notice. Noted that LiUNA Local 183 went on strike as of May 1, 2022 and includes framers, railing company (interior & exterior), trim carpenters, and tile/hardwood/carpet installers 

Stated that it is difficult at this stage to estimate how long the total delays will be, but they anticipate the strike may last 6 or more weeks.

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 44 fl | U/C - Votemac - 05-16-2022

I too got the same email. Hope it doesn't push it too much!

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 44 fl | U/C - CP42 - 05-17-2022

Some brochures for Duo have emerged...

Here are some highlights:

[Image: 9nTBhHI.png]
[Image: JVDovBy.png][Image: R41Ihz1.png][Image: 5Jz00AS.png][Image: MbVxJQ8.png]
The Sky Deck looks like it has potential to be quite impressive and unlike anything else in the area, if done right!
Another notable item is that it appears they moved away from Kirkor to Turner Fleischer as the Architect for this phase:
[Image: pWwezUP.png]