Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bramm Yards Master Plan
I will point out that this is city staff recommending the sale of the site. Although I agree that most of the councils are boomers that still think of kitchener as a small town. The real issue here is that the city's planning department is incapable of thinking large picture and are afraid to take on any risk at all, even it it is the right decision.

(06-12-2024, 08:18 AM)westwardloo Wrote: I will point out that this is city staff recommending the sale of the site. Although I agree that most of the councils are boomers that still think of kitchener as a small town. The real issue here is that the city's planning department is incapable of thinking large picture and are afraid to take on any risk at all, even it it is the right decision.

This is exactly the problem here. And it's not just governments...it's large organizations of every kind. The kind of paranoia around risk that I experienced at the bank is hilarious. But the biggest problem is that they have no idea how to actually measure risk, at the bank or in the gov...they believe if they do nothing and stand very very still nothing bad can happen. They fail to realize that the world is also in motion, even standing still, you'll eventually get knocked over.
Is it paranoia around risk or trying to maximize revenue (i.e. is the full parcel more valuable to developers than the sum of portions of it?)?
I guess we could also convince a billionaire to ask the City for massive tax break to build a stadium for a sports team. That seems to be about the only "big picture" risk that cities are willing to make these days.
Which comes first, a new stadium or a new arena?
(06-12-2024, 09:16 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: This is exactly the problem here. And it's not just governments...it's large organizations of every kind. The kind of paranoia around risk that I experienced at the bank is hilarious. But the biggest problem is that they have no idea how to actually measure risk, at the bank or in the gov...they believe if they do nothing and stand very very still nothing bad can happen. They fail to realize that the world is also in motion, even standing still, you'll eventually get knocked over.

That works for avoiding some wild animals right?

(06-12-2024, 10:41 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Is it paranoia around risk or trying to maximize revenue (i.e. is the full parcel more valuable to developers than the sum of portions of it?)?

I dunno, I would think that the full parcel is subject to "bulk discounts" and the city would actually get less for that and more for selling in smaller pieces because more developers can bid for the smaller pieces.

(06-12-2024, 04:31 PM)nms Wrote: I guess we could also convince a billionaire to ask the City for massive tax break to build a stadium for a sports team. That seems to be about the only "big picture" risk that cities are willing to make these days.

Sports stadiums and convention centres. So many new convention centres in NZ, some people can only think of those for increasing tourism to cities or something. Fundamental lack of vision.
Kitchener has a long list of "would be nice to haves". New arena, new stadium (two actually - one for baseball), Olympic size swimming and diving facility, And a convention centre. Not sure that any of the should be in Bramm Yards, however.

(06-12-2024, 07:04 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Kitchener has a long list of "would be nice to haves".  New arena, new stadium (two actually - one for baseball), Olympic size swimming and diving facility,  And a convention centre.  Not sure that any of the should be in Bramm Yards, however.

A lot of those listed items could have been provided (Funded) by the Provincial/ federal government under a bid for the Canada Games or better yet the commonwealth games. Look at Edmonton, Hamilton and even London.  Unfortunately the security costs of those events has skyrockets so high that it is a hard sell (Impossible) to justify, even if we get legacy facilities that would provide community benefits for decades. That ship has sailed though. City leaders should have pushed for it in the 90's/00's.  We will be lucky to get a new arena in the next 2 decades.
(Yesterday, 08:31 AM)westwardloo Wrote:
(06-12-2024, 07:04 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Kitchener has a long list of "would be nice to haves".  New arena, new stadium (two actually - one for baseball), Olympic size swimming and diving facility,  And a convention centre.  Not sure that any of the should be in Bramm Yards, however.

A lot of those listed items could have been provided (Funded) by the Provincial/ federal government under a bid for the Canada Games or better yet the commonwealth games. Look at Edmonton, Hamilton and even London.  Unfortunately the security costs of those events has skyrockets so high that it is a hard sell (Impossible) to justify, even if we get legacy facilities that would provide community benefits for decades. That ship has sailed though. City leaders should have pushed for it in the 90's/00's.  We will be lucky to get a new arena in the next 2 decades.

Yes, I 've long thought that K-W should bid to host the Canada Summer Games.   Maybe in preparation for some day hosting the Commonwealth or Pan-Am Games (hey, if Hamilton can do it ...)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »