Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Business Updates and News
Yeah this is an interesting investment. Could lead to the Region becoming a hub for Nuclear Energy Research and Technologies. I am disappointed in the location, but it seems like people in K-W love suburban office space over downtown office for some reason.

(06-12-2024, 02:44 PM)westwardloo Wrote: Yeah this is an interesting investment. Could lead to the Region becoming a hub for Nuclear Energy Research and Technologies. I am disappointed in the location, but it seems like people in K-W love suburban office space over downtown office for some reason.

I had the same reaction about the location, especially with so much empty office space downtown.
Keep in mind that Cambridge has a surprisingly large nuclear manufacturing industry with BWXT (the only large nuclear manufacturing plant in NA) announcing expansion plans and Aecon + IST + Veriform + Eclipse automation continuing their own nuclear services. It’s a weird, specific, high end industry that’s growing…

My evening dog walk route was interrupted one night because the convoy for a new containment vessel had to move all the traffic lights on Dundas out of the way.
local cambridge weirdo
(06-12-2024, 11:55 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I'm surprised nobody has posted re the new Westinghouse global engineering hub that officially opened in Kitchener yesterday.  150 new engineering jobs seems like a pretty big deal.

Maybe nobody noticed because they moved into an existing building rather than building a new one.
(06-12-2024, 03:21 PM)bravado Wrote: Keep in mind that Cambridge has a surprisingly large nuclear manufacturing industry with BWXT (the only large nuclear manufacturing plant in NA) announcing expansion plans and Aecon + IST + Veriform + Eclipse automation continuing their own nuclear services. It’s a weird, specific, high end industry that’s growing…

My evening dog walk route was interrupted one night because the convoy for a new containment vessel had to move all the traffic lights on Dundas out of the way.

A cool thing about that company is that they have a super old diesel switcher locomotive that's been in operation for probably half a century which they use to shunt cars around. I told a friend of mine from England about it some time ago and she took a lot of nice photographs of it as she is very interested in North American trains.
I wish they’d invest in the property itself to become a bit nicer in the neighbourhood context, but it’s a super old site that’s been making steam boilers for warships forever and now makes big nuke stuff. Very crazy.
local cambridge weirdo
(06-12-2024, 03:38 PM)Acitta Wrote:
(06-12-2024, 11:55 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I'm surprised nobody has posted re the new Westinghouse global engineering hub that officially opened in Kitchener yesterday.  150 new engineering jobs seems like a pretty big deal.

Maybe nobody noticed because they moved into an existing building rather than building a new one.

Or because the story appeared in the Record.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »