Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
TEK Tower (30 Francis) | 45 fl | U/C
(05-25-2024, 04:04 AM)Square Wrote: Can U-haul park any closer? Lol  Good luck placing any panels on that side.

Ha. Yup was wondering about that too. UHaul has been pretty accommodating when IN8 has needed space for slip forms, skyjacks, etc. I guess IN8 just asks nicely? I'm surprised as it seems like it's UHaul's property?

(05-24-2024, 07:50 PM)CuilTard Wrote:
(05-24-2024, 07:43 PM)panamaniac Wrote: What will cover the gaps between those (quite nice) precast concrete panels?  Could be make or break for the podium, istm.

Good question. Does it look like Windows/glass will be behind the gaps in renders on Google image search? https://torontocondoinvestments.ca/project/tek-tower/

I wonder if they’re going to paint or stain these precast concrete panels given in the renderings they look quite dark compared to the very light ones being installed?
(05-25-2024, 07:16 AM)CuilTard Wrote:
(05-25-2024, 04:04 AM)Square Wrote: Can U-haul park any closer? Lol  Good luck placing any panels on that side.

Ha. Yup was wondering about that too. UHaul has been pretty accommodating when IN8 has needed space for slip forms, skyjacks, etc. I guess IN8 just asks nicely? I'm surprised as it seems like it's UHaul's property?

I'm sure they have an agreement where they take some necessary space at particular intervals. It seems it's not needed just now so UHaul is parking close in.
(05-25-2024, 08:50 AM)CP42 Wrote:
(05-24-2024, 07:50 PM)CuilTard Wrote: Good question. Does it look like Windows/glass will be behind the gaps in renders on Google image search? https://torontocondoinvestments.ca/project/tek-tower/

I wonder if they’re going to paint or stain these precast concrete panels given in the renderings they look quite dark compared to the very light ones being installed?

Maybe, but I think that rendering was supposed to be at twilight. Here's a daytime one (from https://harlocapital.com/project/30-francis-st-s/): 

[Image: rfxjsGm.jpeg][Image: eV8Ey4l.jpeg]
Great shots on a beautiful day... Thanks
Looks like the crane might make a jump today

Do you have line of site to get some pics ?
[Image: yv8080w.jpeg]
Amazingly, this is actually looking somewhat like the renderings so far. While the renders are nothing special if this doesn’t get seriously cheapened (which it doesn’t seem like it has so far) this will be a perfectly serviceable building. 

The podium is already miles ahead of DTK and while the tower is bland and inoffensive at least it shouldn’t turn into an incoherent spandrel mess like DTK
You really should be bleeping out those three letters! 😊
I'm really interested in seeing the final project. I suspect this building will end up being an "Ikea building". By that I mean the product/building is designed in a way that utilizes contemporary design language that fits in within mainstream design trends, but at the end of they day you still know the building is a cheap knockoff.

This one is uninspiring, but it's done in a way that so long as they adhere to the design choices we've seen it should still look okay. I think they should have played around with the geometry of the tower a bit because it's going to be the same copy and pasted floors 45 times which ends up looking very boring on the skyline, but yeah at least it isn't Duke Tower? Lol. I think that if they do the windows the way we see in the renders it'll be passable. Where Duke Tower went wrong was moving away from the fairly minimal, glass heavy tower design to...well, a cluster fk of random things that look like they bought them at a discount sale.
(Yesterday, 01:50 PM)ac3r Wrote: I'm really interested in seeing the final project. I suspect this building will end up being an "Ikea building". By that I mean the product/building is designed in a way that utilizes contemporary design language that fits in within mainstream design trends, but at the end of they day you still know the building is a cheap knockoff.

This one is uninspiring, but it's done in a way that so long as they adhere to the design choices we've seen it should still look okay. I think they should have played around with the geometry of the tower a bit because it's going to be the same copy and pasted floors 45 times which ends up looking very boring on the skyline, but yeah at least it isn't Duke Tower? Lol. I think that if they do the windows the way we see in the renders it'll be passable. Where Duke Tower went wrong was moving away from the fairly minimal, glass heavy tower design to...well, a cluster fk of random things that look like they bought them at a discount sale.

The fact that they copy pasted floors 45 times is the thing I like about this building.  DTK's podium is awful, but the next biggest thing I hate about that building is that they changed the floor plate/ balcony layout randomly for the last 8 floors.  

I will admit that I like this building less after seeing the daytime render. There is going to be a lot of Grey spandrel.  Also looks like they have added balconies to the units in the podium, which was not the case in the render. Feel like the podium would look better if the stamped concrete panels had a larger profile from the curtainwall system.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »