Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(12-23-2015, 12:53 AM)GtwoK Wrote: There were curbs between Water and Francis today, but no asphalt. With Francis reopening tomorrow, I wonder if the entire intersection will be complete, asphalt and all? :o That'd be something.

Charles is also now a 100% through street Southbound, from Benton to Borden! Completely paved, most sidewalks in, and completely driveable. Borden is scheduled to open tomorrow too, which means that you should be able to drive on paved road along the Ion ROW, all the way from Benton to the Huron Spur at the end of Borden. What a milestone!

Borden to Ottawa is still closed, though, right?

I just drove down Northfield and it looks like there will be Jersey barriers installed between the tracks and the road where it crosses the expressway. Any reason why they might be doing that?

I was also thinking that it would be nice if any future lrt corridors where identified so that utilities could be relocated when/if they are replaced in the future. This would be a much less disruptive experience if the utilities didn't all have to be moved out of the way first.
One of the most tempting places to hop over the ION tracks is at Northfield's bridge. With the new design, some circuitous routes are needed depending on what direction of Northfield/85 you are coming from/going to. Many of them could be "made easier" by hopping over the tracks. The temptation to do so might be exacerbated by the barren locale of a bridge vs. someone attempting it over a center-running portion of ION near our cores.
What do you mean "hop over"? You mean as like a pedestrian? Or as a driver? Because oh yeah, just you wait. Everywhere light rail is introduced, there's a good 2-3 years of once-a-month (or more! Houston) stupidity that occurs. It'll be all over the news. Cars getting whacked, turning left in front of trains, cyclists getting their wheels stuck in tracks, pedestrians getting hit because they're wearing headphones and not paying attention... Good times.
If I recall, the Northfield/Highway 85 intersection will be restricted in terms of who can get on or off depending on your direction of travel.  For instance, this public information board from pre-August 2013 indicated the following planned restrictions:
  • The removal of the northbound left (Highway 85 southbound to Northfield Drive westbound)
  • The removal of the eastbound left (Northfield Drive eastbound to Highway 85 northbound)
Putting a jersey barrier up will prevent anyone who didn't read the signs leading to the exit or entrances from trying to make one of the above turns.
But why not just use the tall curbs, as they're using everywhere else the Ion ROW runs along the road and restricts access to vehicles?
They are.

I don't understand. There will be both tall curbs and Jersey barriers between cars and Ion trains?
(12-23-2015, 04:14 PM)GtwoK Wrote: I don't understand. There will be both tall curbs and Jersey barriers between cars and Ion trains?

I believe Jamincan is using the term "Jersey Barriers" to describe the temporary, segmented ~1m high concrete walls which can be placed in short order to provide some level of crash protection at a construction site (right?), not a permanent, poured, continuous metre-high barrier:

[Image: jhook-highway-barrier-cover-big.jpg]
Temporary concrete barrier

I would imagine these are being installed to protect the workers from the higher-speed traffic on Northfield during construction. I haven't been across the bridge in weeks; I, like many others, avoid driving in that area now like the plague!

Here's a cross section of the track and ground profile on the bridge, taken from page 16 of this document.  Note the ~300 mm high curbing here, just like the rest of the alignment.  Only the bravest of SUV drivers will succeed in mounting these.

Edit - 150 mm high, actually!
It sounded like Jamaican was saying they were on the bridge itself- I was at the site around 2:45, and there were jersey barriers, but they were on the south side of the roadway, near where the platform will be. They have these temporary barriers in and around the site in changing configurations, from what I've seen over the past weeks.
Try as I might, I can't avoid occasionally driving through the area, and I was just there today. The barriers I have seen on the bridge don't look temporary, but I didn't look that closely. They also don't look like full-height jersey barriers, but that might just be because the centre section of the bridge is lower than the roadway.
I didn't want to slow down traffic by craning my head, so I didn't get a terribly good look, but it looked to me like they were permanent barriers. I may be mistaken though.
I took a look at the Conestoga Mall Station area while there was still a little light out today:

(12-23-2015, 07:25 PM)timc Wrote: Try as I might, I can't avoid occasionally driving through the area, and I was just there today. The barriers I have seen on the bridge don't look temporary, but I didn't look that closely. They also don't look like full-height jersey barriers, but that might just be because the centre section of the bridge is lower than the roadway.

The permanent "full-height jersey barrier" is actually the Ontario Tall Wall.  110 cm high rather than 32 in for the Jersey Barriers.
I just drove by again, and it is definitely a permanent barrier. I don't think it's related to the intersections either as it seems to stop before them. I'm wondering if it's to prevent a derailed train from entering the driving lane?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »