Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(05-20-2016, 10:02 PM)Canard Wrote: ...So they're going to scale the stupid fence?

No, they'll make holes in the stupid fence.

(05-20-2016, 09:43 PM)timc Wrote:
(05-20-2016, 07:19 PM)ert86 Wrote: After seeing the pictures with the fence posts i went back to check the maps and noticed there wasn't a spot that connects all those apartments to Fairway.  Has that changed? i thought there were spots you could cut across in previous maps.  Also, I don't see how it would be a safety risk if there's crossings in UW and Waterloo Park, and not having a place to cut across will encourage people in the area to drive to plazas on fairway rather than just walk.

I think it's just as likely that if there aren't places to cross, that people will make their own crossings.

Which could quickly get dangerous.  Undecided I hope they've considered something here to account for pedestrian desire...
(05-20-2016, 09:59 PM)Lens Wrote:
(05-20-2016, 09:43 PM)timc Wrote: I think it's just as likely that if there aren't places to cross, that people will make their own crossings.

Knowing the neighbourhood well, they absolutely will. It would be wise to make actual crossings at a few different points once they redo the trail along the line.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I utilized a hole in a fence to cut my walk to/from Food Basics in half when the construction fences weren't there.

Also, after my last post I noticed a yellow cone directly across the opening in the wooden fence, crossing my fingers.
Spotted new LRV signals at Charles and Cedar this morning on the way to the market. Two one each side of the intersection:

I was also surprised to see how much progress and curb had been made on Duke and Francis when I was past there on Thursday.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
That's cool, right at eye level for the LRV operators.
Is it just the camera, or is the pole in that last photo really that bent?
I took a video, taking a look at the rail crossing standards at pedestrian crossings.

Pretty darn huge, compared to pedestrian scale.

Tram Signals along Charles!

Looking North on Charles.

Platform for station at Charles/Borden.

Curbs for the rapidway are already in along Charles between Ottawa and Borden!

Charles & Ottawa - lots to do here, still.

Looking along Ottawa, from Charles.

Another view along Ottawa from Charles.

A new kind of catpole has appeared - this is what a "Round" pole looks like with a counterweight. The counterweight for the tensioner system is hidden within the column of the pole itself! Fancy.

I'm not sure when they snuck it in, but they've now spliced in a half-crossover between the tracks, just North of Albert McCormic Arena! Note that the direction of the crossover is "safe" - that is to say, an incorrectly set switch will not cause a train in normal operation to veer onto the wrong track... to use the crossover, a train would have to pass by it, then reverse through the crossover, then continue along its way.

And finally, a whole line of tram signals along King in front of Grand River Hospital. Seeing these appear just makes the whole thing seem more "real" to me.
(05-20-2016, 08:35 PM)Canard Wrote: Wow, already!  Did they have curbs in place for the rapidway as well?

Nope, unfortunately. Tracks aren't supposed to be going in during this closure. Curbs were done all the way from Water to Francis though, which was neat! There's still a hole in the one corner of Water, so no curbs there. I'd suspect this will open this week, though.

[Image: rMz2Ou7.jpg]
[Image: flnPwbg.jpg]

We've known this for a while, but curbs are in from Victoria to Francis. Sidewalks mostly in, too! Can't wait to see track embedded here.

[Image: aWArwzS.jpg] 
[Image: k32FPHT.jpg]
Searching the word "ion" in Twitter reveals a distressing fact: evidently it is now common parlance to replace "I don't" with the slang "ion".

I... I don't want to be on this planet anymore.
(05-21-2016, 11:35 AM)Markster Wrote: I took a video, taking a look at the rail crossing standards at pedestrian crossings.

Pretty darn huge, compared to pedestrian scale.

Looks odd (aside from the shear size of the equipment for such a small crossing) that the "X" on the top of the sign appears smaller than I would expect on a full railway crossing.  Is it just the angle, or is it smaller?

Coke
Not sure of the progress of Allen when the last pictures posted were taken, but as of today (at least), there were curbs and pavement, as well as most sidewalks. The intersection was driveable as well, minus the portion blocked by track being laid.

[Image: UDhdWsN.jpg]

New curbs are also in on the Northern side of the Uptown parking lot. Nothing on the southern side of the Ion / CN ROW yet, and track has yet to be touched.

[Image: du5c85u.jpg]

The Caroline / Erb intersection as a whole has yet to be touched, minus a small pit in front of the church on Erb.

[Image: O5gGW3R.jpg]

Strangely enough, there were crews working today, Victoria Day, at the King / Francis intersection. Even stranger still, they were still working at 9pm! Do these guys ever get a break?

Who wants a break when you're making double-time on a holiday? I've worked 14 or 18 hour shifts on holidays before, it's a lot of money.
(05-23-2016, 10:46 PM)clasher Wrote: Who wants a break when you're making double-time on a holiday? I've worked 14 or 18 hour shifts on holidays before, it's a lot of money.

I know this is a stupid question but I need the flak ...  Cool

Why do we not have enough workers here in Ontario or Waterloo and these teams are brought in from Quebec? I could be quite wrong about this and therefore my assumption is wrong premised.

It is not a territorial question but a labour shortage question I am asking.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »