Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(11-24-2016, 05:36 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(11-24-2016, 05:00 PM)Chicopee Wrote: The Record article previously posted does raise a good point: how to coordinate snow removal from both the tracks and public roads (and subsequently where to put it). It sounds like lots of logistics are yet to be determined.  My concern is some boulevards along King (near CKCO for example) are almost nonexistent. Also the new concrete boulevard in front of Sun Life (briefly discussed earlier in this thread), isn't an ideal place to pile snow. Here's hoping it doesn't create any additional dangers for pedestrians/motorists along the route where limited space exists for the piling of snow.

They need coordination, but as far as the snow volume or where to put it, none of this is unique to the LRT.  Many streets don't have boulevards, including some rather wide ones.  Cities have solved this problem before, it's mainly the coordination that needs to be worked out.

Definitely no unique issues here, also, really no issues whatsoever.  The median between the trains is enormous, and the lanes are exceptionally wide in most places, there's plenty of snow storage space.  Moreso than on many roads.

(11-24-2016, 05:28 PM)Canard Wrote: What's not entirely clear yet is if our train 1 will actually make a side trip to Millhaven or not.  Metrolinx' pilot LRV's both have to go there, because there's nowhere else for Toronto to play with them, at the moment.  But we have our own test track (Northfield-Erb/Caroline), so unless they go to Millahven for Bombardier's own internal sign off, I think they might be coming straight here from Thunder Bay.

Train 1 is coming straight here from Thunder Bay.  Since the rest are being built in Millhaven anyway, they've got access to the MOVIA test track there on the North side of the property, if they need it.

So that's good, timetable-wise, anyway.
Curbs have finally been poured on Wilson Ave, also what looks like a new mall access.
I keep wondering precisely where the flatcar will offload, even with ramps it seems hazardous to do so under catenary wiring.

Does the OMSF have a short piece of unwired track? Will they do it on the Waterloo spur beside the platforms at Northfield? Across Northfield?

Guess we find out at the open house tomorrow, assuming I'm not so dazed that I forget to ask...
(11-24-2016, 05:20 PM)kps Wrote: Here is the likely route from the Millhaven testing grounds to the local thingy, extracted from the Ontario Railway Map Collection by Paul Delamere under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0.

Bombardier's been shipping to Toronto with CP though. If they do that for our vehicles it will come up from Cambridge past Freeport, Fairway, Ottawa/Mill etc. A lot of excellent viewing opportunities there, if we know when to look.
(11-24-2016, 05:20 PM)kps Wrote:
(11-24-2016, 02:29 PM)urbd Wrote: ok so, who's adventurous enough to draw the full route on a map, as a piece of information for those of us that don't know it all?

Here is the likely route from the Millhaven testing grounds to the local thingy, extracted from the Ontario Railway Map Collection by Paul Delamere under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0.

Thanks a lot!!!! I was literally trying to follow the rails myself but totally lost my way. Thank you Smile
Sidewalks getting poured on Frederick today.

Seems like a bit of a stretch...

"Healthy Foods and more" on Devitt/Bridgeport is citing LRT construction for causing it to shut down (and competition from big box stores):
http://www.570news.com/2016/11/24/lrt-co...-waterloo/
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Yeah, I didn't want to dignify that with a post here because it's so bogus.

Without saying too much I can assure you that LRT construction had virtually nothing to do with that place closing.

(One could even argue that LRT construction gave them additional traffic passing by)
I moved within a block of that grocery 2 months ago, and haven't gone there yet.  If a friend hasn't randomly told me about it, I never would have known it existed, despite having walked right across the street from it several times.

And I don't think you can blame me. Would you guess that this is a grocery?

And not to mention, that this would have meant crossing a 4-lane Bridgeport Rd twice, without a crosswalk. Not exactly the nicest experience.

I think that roughly 0 blame should be put on LRT. They've been taken down by
1) Increased competition from other natural food stores (i.e. Vincenzo's)
2) Competition from across the street (Walmart, Sobey's)
3) Changing local demographics (More students, who are more price conscious)
3) Terrible street presence/access in a neighbourhood that is becoming increasingly pedestrian focused
(11-25-2016, 03:01 PM)Canard Wrote: Yeah, I didn't want to dignify that with a post here because it's so bogus.

Without saying too much I can assure you that LRT construction had virtually nothing to do with that place closing.

(One could even argue that LRT construction gave them additional traffic passing by)

Agreed very much. Now if Central Fresh had closed I might have been forced to accept it as a victim of LRT.
(11-25-2016, 04:19 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(11-25-2016, 03:01 PM)Canard Wrote: Yeah, I didn't want to dignify that with a post here because it's so bogus.

Agreed very much. Now if Central Fresh had closed I might have been forced to accept it as a victim of LRT.

They are at least actually in the construction zone.  

Honestly, the other one just sounds like sour grapes.
(11-25-2016, 08:29 AM)KevinT Wrote: Bombardier's been shipping to Toronto with CP though.  If they do that for our vehicles it will come up from Cambridge past Freeport, Fairway, Ottawa/Mill etc.  A lot of excellent viewing opportunities there, if we know when to look.

Hey, we'll be getting light rail in Cambridge after all!

There is an open house at the OMSF tomorrow from 10-2.

Region of Waterloo
(11-25-2016, 05:08 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(11-25-2016, 04:19 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Agreed very much. Now if Central Fresh had closed I might have been forced to accept it as a victim of LRT.

They are at least actually in the construction zone.  

Honestly, the other one just sounds like sour grapes.

That reminds me. Did Jay move his fence business off of Northfield? Or is he waiting for property values to increase after the LRT comes? I remember joking at one point that he is so litigious he would sell before construction, then sue the Region for his loss in not getting the property value increase after the LRT came.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »