Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
What is the reason for this being a middle-of-the-road stop anyway?

Going back to our talk about the Research & Technology station, and the trail crossing, I noticed that the cover was off some of the concrete today, and there are tactile walking surface indicators (I had to ask Google what the proper name is for the "bumpy things") on both sides where the access comes from Phillip Street. This is encouraging to me as a sign that a trail crossing will (eventually) exist without running the length of the platform.
(04-12-2017, 01:00 PM)boatracer Wrote: If I'm not mistaken I think this is the only single track stop which lands in the middle of the road.  All others are double sided platforms or are on the side of the road.

Willis Way is similar, but the other side is a bus stop at that location. Also depending on exactly what you mean by “middle of the road” it could be considered not to be in the middle, since both general traffic lanes are on the same side of the platform — only the LRT lane is on the other side of the platform.
(04-12-2017, 02:10 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:  Also depending on exactly what you mean by “middle of the road” it could be considered not to be in the middle, since both general traffic lanes are on the same side of the platform — only the LRT lane is on the other side of the platform.

No, there's two northbound traffic lanes, this barrier, the platform, the LRT track, THEN two southbound lanes.
(04-12-2017, 02:43 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(04-12-2017, 02:10 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Willis Way is similar, but the other side is a bus stop at that location.  Also depending on exactly what you mean by “middle of the road” it could be considered not to be in the middle, since both general traffic lanes are on the same side of the platform — only the LRT lane is on the other side of the platform.

No, there's two northbound traffic lanes, this barrier, the platform, the LRT track, THEN two southbound lanes.

ijmorlan is talking about their example of Willis Way.

Frederick does indeed seem to be the only single direction platform that is surrounded by general traffic lanes on both sides.
(04-12-2017, 03:16 PM)Markster Wrote: ijmorlan is talking about their example of Willis Way.

Frederick does indeed seem to be the only single direction platform that is surrounded by general traffic lanes on both sides.

Ah! Yes, that is certainly correct.
Anchor wall is up at GRH stop, Much darker than I had imagined:

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

Is that the only monochrome anchor wall? I thought they were all either stone or multi-hued.
(04-12-2017, 06:12 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Is that the only monochrome anchor wall?  I thought they were all either stone or multi-hued.

Frederick will be monochrome pale green, to match Market Square.
Research and Technology is pure red.
It looked like the Waterloo public square anchor wall frame and other components were being offloaded this morning.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if the tracks at Allen and Caroline will need some repair by the time the excavation at 155 Caroline is done; they are taking a beating from all the loaded dump trucks taking material out of the site every few minutes.
Waterloo Public Square station anchor wall frame is up.

Willis Way station has its Ion and GRT logos and station lettering.
Much late ... some early-morning photos from Tuesday:

Anchor walls tiles are now up at Fairview Park station as well
(04-13-2017, 11:22 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Much late ... some early-morning photos from Tuesday:

Don't feel bad - I'm way behind, too!  Although that illuminated EQ3 anchor wall is really unique Big Grin

1/1 - Monday, April 10, 2017

Progress at the King St. Grade Separation.

Progress at the King St. Grade Separation.

The stunning anchor wall is now up at Cedar/Kitchener Market! I think this is my favourite one so far. The ceramic tiles are so much more vibrant than the glass ones.

Tiles are up at Borden now, too! This was on Tuesday - by Thursday, it was complete, and boarded up.

It's hard to see, but there's now a glass window installed in that "opening" at the bottom of the anchor wall, here at University of Waterloo.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »