Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
2/2 - Friday, September 28, 2018

Great shots Canard!

LOVE that picture in front of the Google office
Yes, great pictures.

So in normal paired service both pantographs would be up, but because it was a towing test only one was up?

I forgot to mention that my son noticed that a number of the ticket vending machines are powered up (and displaying an error message that we couldn't read while driving by).
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(09-29-2018, 10:06 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: So in normal paired service both pantographs would be up, but because it was a towing test only one was up?

That's what we're thinking. In normal service, the pantograph is designed so that it can supply enough current for one LRV's worth of motors + accessories. The only signals going back and forth in the electric portion of the Scharfenburg coupler (the bits on the sides) are digital control signals. Those signals are what are used to synchronize the control system for the motors for both vehicles, for example, so they're operating exactly in unison. The loads on the coupler are thus minimized.

The testing on the hill was acceleration and deceleration testing for Bombardier qualifications and it is believed one vehicle was inert. Lowering the pantograph may have been done to "guarantee" there was no faking it out.

Quote:I forgot to mention that my son noticed that a number of the ticket vending machines are powered up (and displaying an error message that we couldn't read while driving by).

That's a great observation!
I'll try to swing by a platform and look for myself.
Looks like someone already did:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/81680629...477804051/
Nice!

(09-29-2018, 12:29 PM)Canard Wrote: Looks like someone already did:

You beat me to it. I was about to post that same picture here (I was the one that took that about 15-20 mins ago)
(09-29-2018, 12:36 PM)bgb_ca Wrote:
(09-29-2018, 12:29 PM)Canard Wrote: Looks like someone already did:

You beat me to it. I was about to post that same picture here (I was the one that took that about 15-20 mins ago)

Feel free to post it.  It's nice to not have to follow a link to see it.
The HMI on the TVM on the Borden SB platform has been destroyed. Sad
What do those acronyms mean?
(09-29-2018, 03:47 PM)JoeKW Wrote: What do those acronyms mean?

"The HMI (Human-Machine Interface, ie the touchscreen) on the TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) on the Borden SB (southbound) platform has been destroyed."
(09-29-2018, 01:00 PM)Spokes Wrote:
(09-29-2018, 12:36 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: You beat me to it. I was about to post that same picture here (I was the one that took that about 15-20 mins ago)

Feel free to post it.  It's nice to not have to follow a link to see it.

Here ya go.

Edit: it don't seem to want to attach

It worked for me, here we go:

ION LRV 511 Arrival and Offload:

Note: 508 and 509 appear in this video as a pair at 6:20 into the clip, with both pantos up and each fully powered.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »