Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
The road is Fairway.

The mall, owned by a private company, is called Fairview.

The private company could rename the mall Kitten Land and then the station would have to be renamed accordingly.

The logic of the Region is sound with the current naming convention.

...except dammit that doesn’t work for Conestoga, in which case it should have been Conestogo.

Yeah, it's weird that the GRT page calls out a "Fairview" neighbourhood ("Provides connection to Fairview and Vanier neighbourhoods") instead of Kingsdale?
Or, looking at an actual map, Parkway.
(11-30-2018, 05:09 PM)Canard Wrote: ...except dammit that doesn’t work for Conestoga, in which case it should have been Conestogo.

Best ice cream in the city!
Given how Fairview-the-mall seemed pretty antagonistic about the project, I wonder if using Conestoga-the-mall for one stop but Fairway-the-street for the other is a bit of a dig.
Saw #512 out today as well as no giant popcorn sticker application at Waterloo Park.
The neighbourhood right next to the mall is Kingsdale. Vanier is everything west of Wilson park and along Vanier after it changes from Traynor. Nobody calls the area Parkway but it refers mainly to the railway (originally) and the industrial area behind Fairway Road. I support not calling the station Fairview Park because that's a private company's name and land. I guess Fairway is just a compromise between the busy retail street and the neighbourhood that is next to it.

(11-30-2018, 07:11 PM)Canard Wrote: Where are you guys seeing these neighbourhood names? I’ve never heard of any of these.

Go to about this zoom level at non-satellite Google Maps: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4260116,-80.4454911,14z
I just noticed on that map that the neighbourhood labelled "Auditorium" is what I grew up referring to as the "East Ward".
Yeah Google maps can be hit and miss for getting neighbourhoods right. Waterloo for example, only has a handful of hoods listed.
The source for Google Map's neighbourhood names isn't always clear, and is sometimes plainly wrong. https://www.thestar.com/business/technol...-fume.html
(11-25-2018, 10:20 AM)jgsz Wrote:
(11-25-2018, 10:07 AM)panamaniac Wrote: From the Record's piece on the Ion "open house", a classic bit of Kitchenerese from a Kitchener senior:

"Now we understand better the project," she said.

Sadly, I think Kitchenerese is slowly disappearing.

Wink

Kitchenerese, eh?  I heard someone say that the faster they work the behinder they get.

That's not "Kitchenerese", just Shtenk, a.k.a. a Pennsylvania Dutch accent. :-)

(11-30-2018, 07:11 PM)Canard Wrote: Where are you guys seeing these neighbourhood names? I’ve never heard of any of these.

Some of them are names of neighbourhood associations.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Just FYI, there will be Testing & Training today on the alignment, starting at 10am!

Spokes, get out there! Big Grin
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »