Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(03-31-2015, 07:53 AM)clasher Wrote: There is a line in San Francisco that operates with vintage streetcars every day carrying passengers. It's certainly not out of the realm of possibility to do it.

Though underneath that is a light rail tunnel with frequent service.

Under the current LRT plan, there will be longer, off-peak, gaps in the service which would open up the possibility for a heritage style vehicle.  The Gomaco Trolley Company builds replica trolleys and street cars in Iowa including wheelchair accessible models.
Central Fresh Market is feeling the impact of the LRT construction. Business is down 30% since construction started.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-...-1.3012528
I went up to Central yesterday, driving straight up King St from Victoria with no problem.  I noticed, however that King St was closed off in the opposite direction.  I don't know how long/often King will be closed to traffic in one direction or the other.  With the cemetery at the back and access to Braun St blocked off, it's not like there's an alternative to using King to get there.
Personally, I prefer The Record's article, which notes that by the weekend, the dip was only 4-5%.

I'm a big believer in use it or lose it. That a couple minutes of detour could throw 1/3 of customers away says more about the customers than Central Fresh. Reminds me of all the folks who say they love the charm of UpTown and would hate to see buildings taller than 4 storeys near it, yet are part of the crowd going to Conestoga as place after place closes up shop in the core.

While we generally agree that anti-vaxxers are a danger to our well-being, so many of us feel that we "love UpTown, and should all support it, but it's ok if my family goes to the mall instead." And then they all do.
CFM's owner's attitude towards LRT notwithstanding (I was unimpressed at their anti-LRT petition clipboard), as a nearby resident who used Central for convenience groceries (and Zehrs/Sobeys/etc. for "major groceries") I've decided to shift as much of my grocery shopping as possible over to Central. It's the right thing to do. There are already big food deserts in this town. I want to see Central survive.

Their longer-term future is not certain. Imagine, for instance, if an urban supermarket goes in on the ground floor of somewhere like 1 Victoria. Being right next to an LRT stop and being within the Kitchener core proper will be a major advantage compared to Central's location in between stops.

I am hoping that the gradually increasing density will mean a greater number of nearby customers. But it's not a given.
A few more photos from today.

(03-31-2015, 03:24 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: I'm a big believer in use it or lose it. That a couple minutes of detour could throw 1/3 of customers away says more about the customers than Central Fresh. Reminds me of all the folks who say they love the charm of UpTown and would hate to see buildings taller than 4 storeys near it, yet are part of the crowd going to Conestoga as place after place closes up shop in the core.

Coming from Waterloo, I don't even know how you get to Central Fresh Market with the construction. And it's more trouble than its worth to figure it out. I don't know what it "says about the customers", but it's a grocery store. If I can't figure out how to get there, I'll go to another one.
Both articles characterize this as a problem due to LRT construction, but both fail to note that King St was in horrible shape and going to need to be rebuilt regardless of LRT construction. Even with the additional considerations required for LRT construction the methods they are using will likely shorten the period of inconvenience relative to a regular construction project.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(04-01-2015, 12:41 PM)timc Wrote:
(03-31-2015, 03:24 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: I'm a big believer in use it or lose it. That a couple minutes of detour could throw 1/3 of customers away says more about the customers than Central Fresh. Reminds me of all the folks who say they love the charm of UpTown and would hate to see buildings taller than 4 storeys near it, yet are part of the crowd going to Conestoga as place after place closes up shop in the core.

Coming from Waterloo, I don't even know how you get to Central Fresh Market with the construction.  And it's more trouble than its worth to figure it out.  I don't know what it "says about the customers", but it's a grocery store.  If I can't figure out how to get there, I'll go to another one.

Down Park St and turn left at Dominion/Agnes and then left again at Agnes and King (King Edward School) and you're there.
I'm surprised that traffic to Central Fresh Market is down so severely. Food tends to be emotional and people tend to develop loyalty to certain stores, Vincenzo's being an extreme example of that. I would have thought its' core customers would get there no matter what. As well, Pheidippidis is quite correct about the shape of King St. I live just past Sunlife, going towards the Uptown Square, and every morning I feel I'm going to lose the undercarriage of my car.
(04-01-2015, 01:07 PM)schooner77 Wrote: I'm surprised that traffic to Central Fresh Market is down so severely.  Food tends to be emotional and people tend to develop loyalty to certain stores, Vincenzo's being an extreme example of that.  I would have thought its' core customers would get there no matter what.  As well, Pheidippidis is quite correct about the shape of King St.  I live just past Sunlife, going towards the Uptown Square, and every morning I feel I'm going to lose the undercarriage of my car.

I suspect that it's core customers are the ones that are still keeping them in business. More casual customers are probably staying away. Just guessing though.
Panorama of LRT construction at UW today. Can't wait until they start placing the new rail line in. Not much has been happening in this area since last year. 

[Image: PANO_20150401_113400_zpsqod0ebwh.jpg]

There was a small flurry of activity 3 weeks ago, but nothing since.
I think when it happens, it's going to happen fast. G:link went from dirt to finished concrete+rails in 4 months in some sections.

Still not as fast as monorail, but we'll certainly see some serious infrastructure by the fall.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »