Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(06-07-2019, 01:26 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Someone tried to turn in front of 509 because they "didn't see it" (credit to Tyler Leatherland‎ on Facebook).

There's another $20K. They should have designed the ends to make the parts interchangeable with a 2012 Toyota Camry.

An LRV has been stopped at UW for the past 15 minutes. Related to the accident?
Even for K-W, driving past a moving train and then turning right in front of it because you didn't see it is pretty bad.  Beyond even the usual K-W standard of "fairly oblivious".  I wonder how often we will see similar fender benders - weekly?
(06-07-2019, 01:26 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Someone tried to turn in front of 509 because they "didn't see it" (credit to Tyler Leatherland‎ on Facebook).

Yeah, those LRVs are awfully small and hard to see! Sad
From a description of the incident, it's even more idiotic than I thought.

"There was no sneaking up. The train was blaring a horn and in emergency brake mode for the vehicle directly in front which had turned in front of the moving train. The train was almost stopped because of that and this vehicle turned right into the side of the train. There is not a 100' blind spot beside and behind the vehicle."
Interesting. Welp, people predicted as such. I would consider 2 incidents since 'full simulated service' started not that bad. GRT probably has anticipated such growing pains. Let's see how this shakes out. Just no further delays in launch please.

Also, most likely mentioned, Charles St terminal will cease to exist as a bus hub! That land is apparently sought after by the developers of Charlie West (think 2 - 3 condo towers with retail below).
I'm sure that land will attract bids from many other developers as well. I think this may be the most attractive piece of land that is or has been made available in DTK in recent memory.

(06-07-2019, 02:54 PM)tomh009 Wrote: I'm sure that land will attract bids from many other developers as well. I think this may be the most attractive piece of land that is or has been made available in DTK in recent memory.

I just hope the City/Region don’t drop the ball on the urban planning aspects of it, including, but not limited to, the idea that Gaukel should be closed to motor vehicle traffic. Whatever is built there should have a strong relationship with the active transportation route on Gaukel and with the park on the other side of Joseph St.
(06-07-2019, 04:30 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(06-07-2019, 02:54 PM)tomh009 Wrote: I'm sure that land will attract bids from many other developers as well. I think this may be the most attractive piece of land that is or has been made available in DTK in recent memory.

I just hope the City/Region don’t drop the ball on the urban planning aspects of it, including, but not limited to, the idea that Gaukel should be closed to motor vehicle traffic. Whatever is built there should have a strong relationship with the active transportation route on Gaukel and with the park on the other side of Joseph St.

The city controls Gaukel -- and the Gaukel greenway proposal is moving forward, though it hasn't made it to council yet. The terminal land, on the other hand, is a regional property.
Again . . .
Motorist strikes Ion train, causing minor damage
(06-06-2019, 12:24 PM)UrbanCanoe Wrote: I don't think it's been posted here yet, but Keolis will be testing the system tomorrow with approximately 200 students acting as customers boarding and disembarking the trains at various stations. It should be a fun operation for those involved, and hopefully doesn't cause too much confusion from the public when they see people boarding the trains. It will be an early preview of what full service operation will look like with customers.

I heard this was postponed. Anyone out spotting this morning to confirm?
Photo 
I caught 514 a couple of days ago with the fixed “rear”. Sorry for potato photo.

(06-07-2019, 04:58 PM)tomh009 Wrote: The city controls Gaukel -- and the Gaukel greenway proposal is moving forward, though it hasn't made it to council yet. The terminal land, on the other hand, is a regional property.

OK, that’s something. I think it should go beyond that, though — the entire block, including all the sidewalks and roads around it, as well as the portion of the park immediately the other side of Joseph, should be planned together. I’m not sure what this specifically means, but the arbitrary line between City and Regional property should not affect the outcome and should not divide the design into two completely separate pieces.

(06-07-2019, 07:42 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(06-07-2019, 04:58 PM)tomh009 Wrote: The city controls Gaukel -- and the Gaukel greenway proposal is moving forward, though it hasn't made it to council yet. The terminal land, on the other hand, is a regional property.

OK, that’s something. I think it should go beyond that, though — the entire block, including all the sidewalks and roads around it, as well as the portion of the park immediately the other side of Joseph, should be planned together. I’m not sure what this specifically means, but the arbitrary line between City and Regional property should not affect the outcome and should not divide the design into two completely separate pieces.

All the streets you mention are city streets, not regional roads. I believe the city owns the sidewalks, too, though I could possibly be wrong on that. So the city is in control: if you want to make a proposal, you can either present to council or join in with the Gaukel Greenway group

The terminal land is just like private ownership of property, it just happens to be the region. City will generally not have any rights on that unless it chooses to expropriate the land.
Details on opening weekend are up. They are not doing full scheduled service until the Monday.

https://www.grt.ca/en/about-grt/ready-to-ride-ion.aspx
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »