Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The COVID-19 pandemic
(06-03-2020, 01:06 PM)ac3r Wrote: Ideally, the company should be charged and certain staff forced to resign.

Legally, the company cannot be forced to fire specific employees. The company could be charged, if there is corporate malfeasance. But if it's a local manager making those decisions, without corporate direction, I suspect there would not be grounds to charge the corporation as a whole.

I don't have enough legal knowledge to know what the bar would be for charging individual (local) employees in a case like this.

Waterloo Region reported 10 new cases, four of them in LTC. It appears that there have been 11 new cases in LTC (likely Forest Heights Revera) over the past few days. The increase is 0.9% of the total cases to date and 6.1% of the current active caseload. 171 cases now active in the region, up four but still down 34 in the past seven days. New cases averaging 3.8% of actives over the past seven days.

386 people tested in the region, with a 2.6% positivity rate.

Ontario reported 338 new cases, back down into the 300s. 327 recoveries and 19 deaths translate to an decrease of eight active cases for the day and a weekly total of -32. 17,537 tests for the day for a 1.9% positivity rate. The new cases are 1.2% of the total but 8.6% of the number of active cases. New cases averaging 9.4% of actives over the past seven days.

The hospital population dropped a bit to 791 (-10) but the ICU population ticked up to 127 (+2).
(06-03-2020, 01:06 PM)ac3r Wrote: Revera is going to have to provide some good answers for this disaster. The Unifor union has stated that much of this could have probably been avoided if the staff were permitted to have access to PPE. For a while, they were not allowed to wear masks because they were told it would scare the residents of the home. Revera also demanded staff come to work even if they have tested positive for Covid-19, regardless of the symptoms. Residents who were positive were not put into isolation fast enough either, which lead to it spreading very fast as it's hard to social distance in such places, especially when it comes to meal times.

Ideally, the company should be charged and certain staff forced to resign.

Sounds like the managers responsible should have to answer in criminal and/or civil court. Telling their staff they can’t wear PPE? That sounds like negligence to me. Requiring employees to come in who have tested positive sounds like reckless endangerment.

Note: not a lawyer. But these aren’t just mistakes that “anybody” could make.
(06-03-2020, 01:36 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(06-03-2020, 01:06 PM)ac3r Wrote: Revera is going to have to provide some good answers for this disaster. The Unifor union has stated that much of this could have probably been avoided if the staff were permitted to have access to PPE. For a while, they were not allowed to wear masks because they were told it would scare the residents of the home. Revera also demanded staff come to work even if they have tested positive for Covid-19, regardless of the symptoms. Residents who were positive were not put into isolation fast enough either, which lead to it spreading very fast as it's hard to social distance in such places, especially when it comes to meal times.

Sounds like the managers responsible should have to answer in criminal and/or civil court. Telling their staff they can’t wear PPE? That sounds like negligence to me. Requiring employees to come in who have tested positive sounds like reckless endangerment.

They do sound serious. But we only have crumbs of information through the media. If it goes to court, we should be able to see the full picture.
(06-03-2020, 01:36 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:

It's definitely endangerment. Here is a story The Star ran a few weeks ago. Eventually, they were given masks - but in the weeks leading up to the WHO declaring the virus to be a global pandemic, they were not allowed to have any, despite it being very obvious this virus was extremely deadly to people in the age group who occupy long term care homes. Revera is most certainly going to be dragged into court on many fronts.
Waterloo Region reported four new cases, one of them in LTC. The number of LTC facilities with active cases is now down to six, but Forest Heights Revera is still suffering. Today's case increase is 0.4% of the total cases to date and 2.4% of the current active caseload. 166 cases now active in the region, down five, and down 35 in the past seven days. New cases averaging 3.9% of actives over the past seven days.

348 people tested in the region, with a 1.1% positivity rate.

Ontario reported 356 new cases. 397 recoveries and 45 deaths translate to an decrease of 86 active cases for the day and a weekly total of -166. The total number of active cases is still about 400 higher than it was in mid-May. 20,822 tests for the day for a 1.7% positivity rate. The new cases are 1.2% of the total but 9.3% of the number of active cases. New cases averaging 9.3% of actives over the past seven days.

The hospital population dropped again, to 776 (-15) as did the ICU population, to 121 (-6).
Here’s hoping that yesterday’s rally doesn’t result in a spike next week.

Waterloo Region reported 11 new cases, four of them in "outbreaks". The number of LTC facilities with active cases is now down to five, but we appear to be suffering from outbreaks in either workplace or religious settings (insufficient data to know which). Today's case increase is 1.0% of the total cases to date and 10.0% (!) of the current active caseload. Only 110 cases now active in the region, down 55 (delayed reporting?), and down 77 in the past seven days. New cases averaging 5.2% of actives over the past seven days. While the decrease in active cases is great, 10% of those in new cases definitely is not.

Only 237 people tested in the region, with a 4.6% positivity rate.

Ontario reported 344 new cases. 375 recoveries and 15 deaths translate to an decrease of 46 active cases for the day and a weekly total of -205. 22,730 tests for the day (another new record!) for a 1.5% positivity rate. The new cases are 1.2% of the total but 9.1% of the number of active cases. New cases averaging 9.4% of actives over the past seven days.

The hospital population dropped below 750, to 749 (-27) and the ICU population inched down as well, to 118 (-3).
Waterloo Region reported 13 new cases: four out of the last five days have seen ten-plus new cases now. The number of LTC facilities with active cases is now down to four. Today's case increase is 1.1% of the total cases to date and 11.3% (!) of the current active caseload. 115 cases now active in the region, up five, but down 62 in the past seven days. New cases averaging 6.3% of actives over the past seven days.

About 45% of cases to date have been in LTC, and 10% in two food processing facility outbreaks.

323 people tested in the region, with a 4.0% positivity rate.

Ontario reported 387 new cases, plus 68 that had been diagnosed earlier but missed in reporting. 364 recoveries and 35 deaths translate to an decrease of 12 active cases for the day (now 3,848) and a weekly total of -153. 23,105 tests for the day (yet another record!) for a 1.7% positivity rate. The new cases are 1.5% of the total but 10.1% of the number of active cases. New cases averaging 9.6% of actives over the past seven days.

The hospital population dropped below 700 now, to 673 (-76) and the ICU population inched down as well, to 117 (-1).

It really doesn't look like we're going to get the active case count down to the 3,000 range unless we do something different. Like mandate use of masks in stores and on transit, for example.
(06-06-2020, 01:56 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Waterloo Region reported 13 new cases: four out of the last five days have seen ten-plus new cases now. The number of LTC facilities with active cases is now down to four. Today's case increase is 1.1% of the total cases to date and 11.3% (!) of the current active caseload. 115 cases now active in the region, up five, but down 62 in the past seven days. New cases averaging 6.3% of actives over the past seven days.

About 45% of cases to date have been in LTC, and 10% in two food processing facility outbreaks.

Ontario reported 387 new cases, plus 68 that had been diagnosed earlier but missed in reporting. 364 recoveries and 35 deaths translate to an decrease of 12 active cases for the day (now 3,848) and a weekly total of -153. 23,105 tests for the day (yet another record!) for a 1.7% positivity rate. The new cases are 1.5% of the total but 11.8% of the number of active cases. New cases averaging 9.9% of actives over the past seven days.

The hospital population dropped below 700 now, to 673 (-76) and the ICU population inched down as well, to 117 (-1).

It really doesn't look like we're going to get the active case count down to the 3,000 range unless we do something different. Like mandate use of masks in stores and on transit, for example.

Knowing what to do is the key though, I wish we had better information on how and what tracking was going on, are people being infected in stores, at work, inside, outside, on transit, in parks, in homes, I'd be curious to know these kinds of things personally, but I'd really like to know that those making the decisions knew these things.
(06-06-2020, 02:57 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(06-06-2020, 01:56 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Waterloo Region reported 13 new cases: four out of the last five days have seen ten-plus new cases now. The number of LTC facilities with active cases is now down to four. Today's case increase is 1.1% of the total cases to date and 11.3% (!) of the current active caseload. 115 cases now active in the region, up five, but down 62 in the past seven days. New cases averaging 6.3% of actives over the past seven days.

Ontario reported 387 new cases, plus 68 that had been diagnosed earlier but missed in reporting. 364 recoveries and 35 deaths translate to an decrease of 12 active cases for the day (now 3,848) and a weekly total of -153. 23,105 tests for the day (yet another record!) for a 1.7% positivity rate. The new cases are 1.5% of the total but 11.8% of the number of active cases. New cases averaging 9.9% of actives over the past seven days.

Knowing what to do is the key though, I wish we had better information on how and what tracking was going on, are people being infected in stores, at work, inside, outside, on transit, in parks, in homes, I'd be curious to know these kinds of things personally, but I'd really like to know that those making the decisions knew these things.

Do they?  It has not been my impression that they do know, in the majority of cases.  
(06-06-2020, 06:14 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(06-06-2020, 02:57 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Knowing what to do is the key though, I wish we had better information on how and what tracking was going on, are people being infected in stores, at work, inside, outside, on transit, in parks, in homes, I'd be curious to know these kinds of things personally, but I'd really like to know that those making the decisions knew these things.

Do they?  It has not been my impression that they do know, in the majority of cases.  

I don't know if they do or not, perhaps my wording was not the best, I meant that I would like to know personally, but I understand that there may be privacy concerns that mean I cannot know. But having confidence that those making the decisions did know, even if I don't, would make me feel better.

I definitely do not feel better.
(06-06-2020, 08:29 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I definitely do not feel better.

Quebec has their daily cases in the 200s now, we are still struggling around 350. Definitely not feeling good about this.

Admittedly our (national) new infections per capita are maybe 1/3 or 1/4 of those in the US, but that's a terrible benchmark.

(06-06-2020, 10:52 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(06-06-2020, 08:29 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I definitely do not feel better.

Quebec has their daily cases in the 200s now, we are still struggling around 350. Definitely not feeling good about this.

Admittedly our (national) new infections per capita are maybe 1/3 or 1/4 of those in the US, but that's a terrible benchmark.

Yay, we aren’t the absolute worst!  Yeah, we can aim higher.  I honestly don’t know what happened in Ontario. We seemed off to a good start.
No report from Waterloo Region on a Sunday.

Ontario reported 192 new cases, plus 223 that had been diagnosed earlier but missed in reporting. That's the first sub-200-case day since I started tracking these in late March! (I don't care so much about the 223 as we have no idea what dates those go back to.) 305 recoveries and 19 deaths translate to an decrease of 132 active cases for the day (now 3,939 -- higher than yesterday due to the reported old cases) and a weekly total of -135. 19,374 tests for the day (good for a weekend day) for a 1.0% positivity rate. The new cases are 1.4% of the total but 4.9% of the number of active cases. New cases averaging 9.1% of actives over the past seven days.

The hospital population dropped again, to 635 (-38) while the ICU population held steady at 117 (+0).

Sub-200 is indeed much better, as is the 1.0% positivity rate, but do I have confidence that something has really changed and that this is the start of trend? Not yet, at least.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »