Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The COVID-19 pandemic
Further to the above, what is everyone opinion on vaccinating the young at some point? It seems that a lot of this Delta is hitting the under 12 age group, who cannot be vaccinated at all. Is it worth the risk getting these ones vaccinated?

Further to my last post: I was reading somewhere that some in Kitchener got sick and ended up in the hospital. They were front line workers (not in healthcare, but lots of dealing with the general public), but unvaccinated. They were NOT anti-vaxxers. They were confused at the requirements for getting the vaccine, but either way, couldn't get it. How do we reach those that haven't been vaccinated but want to? I had mentioned ideas, but it doesn't seem many here have thrown out more ideas. I am hoping to get a ball rolling so that I can send information to the region to help them reach these people. In this case, I must use some of my connections. My main connections are to the WRPS, City of Waterloo, City of Kitchener, 1 MP and 2 MPP's.

Thanks
For a start, we could start mailing out pamphlets informing people how to book a vaccine either through public health or pharmacies. It could also include information explaining how you are permitted to take a sick day to get it/deal with side effects (people who work during the day may not know they can take advantage of this).

Also, mobile clinics that could visit shelters without needing an appointment would be great for that segment of the population. AFAIK, they are all expected to sign up online or via phone, which is pretty stupid.
How about having employers inform their employees, particularly front-line ones?
I went back to check for earlier appointments and was able to find one tomorrow instead of July 25, which was initially the earliest I could get. It might be worthwhile for people who are still waiting to go back and take a second look.
(06-26-2021, 03:56 PM)jeffster Wrote: Further to the above, what is everyone opinion on vaccinating the young at some point? It seems that a lot of this Delta is hitting the under 12 age group, who cannot be vaccinated at all. Is it worth the risk getting these ones vaccinated?

By the time it is authorized to be administered to that age group, the risk will have been shown to be as tiny as it usually is for vaccines. Assuming the vaccines are indeed safe and effective for young children (as will, if so, be established by testing), we should start by opening up vaccination to them, and eventually add a Covid vaccine to the schedule required for school attendance (with no bogus “religious” or “philosophical” exemptions, only medical exemptions certified by a doctor).
(06-26-2021, 05:51 PM)jamincan Wrote: I went back to check for earlier appointments and was able to find one tomorrow instead of July 25, which was initially the earliest I could get. It might be worthwhile for people who are still waiting to go back and take a second look.

This would be good information to have on a flyer. Just tell people to try everyday to speed up their appointment.

Does anyone know if you made an appointment before Wednesday that you'd need to rebook again? Or is the region still going to honour any pre-reg?

(06-26-2021, 06:14 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(06-26-2021, 03:56 PM)jeffster Wrote: Further to the above, what is everyone opinion on vaccinating the young at some point? It seems that a lot of this Delta is hitting the under 12 age group, who cannot be vaccinated at all. Is it worth the risk getting these ones vaccinated?

By the time it is authorized to be administered to that age group, the risk will have been shown to be as tiny as it usually is for vaccines. Assuming the vaccines are indeed safe and effective for young children (as will, if so, be established by testing), we should start by opening up vaccination to them, and eventually add a Covid vaccine to the schedule required for school attendance (with no bogus “religious” or “philosophical” exemptions, only medical exemptions certified by a doctor).

The makers of all the vaccines went out of their way to ensure that religious reasons couldn't be used to object to getting vaccinated. It may have been a factor for AZ (but it wasn't), but definitely not for the mRNA vaccines. It might be up to religious leaders to let the flock know that the vaccines don't run contrary to religious beliefs. Whether or not this is happening with all groups, who knows.
(06-26-2021, 06:32 PM)jeffster Wrote: The makers of all the vaccines went out of their way to ensure that religious reasons couldn't be used to object to getting vaccinated.

Thanks, I hadn’t heard that specifically.

I should be clear that what I consider bogus is any objection to vaccination per se. Objecting to a hypothetical vaccine with a pork product in it, for example, would be perfectly legitimate for Jews.
(06-26-2021, 06:14 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:

I was checking up on that. I think it was Pfizer who is doing testing in under-12s right now (3-12 perhaps?) and expects to have results and application for a US EUA by September. So maybe by the end of 2021 we might see significant numbers of under-12s vaccinated.
(06-26-2021, 09:22 PM)plam Wrote:
(06-26-2021, 06:14 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: By the time it is authorized to be administered to that age group, the risk will have been shown to be as tiny as it usually is for vaccines. Assuming the vaccines are indeed safe and effective for young children (as will, if so, be established by testing), we should start by opening up vaccination to them, and eventually add a Covid vaccine to the schedule required for school attendance (with no bogus “religious” or “philosophical” exemptions, only medical exemptions certified by a doctor).

I was checking up on that. I think it was Pfizer who is doing testing in under-12s right now (3-12 perhaps?) and expects to have results and application for a US EUA by September. So maybe by the end of 2021 we might see significant numbers of under-12s vaccinated.

Yes, I heard Pfizer, though I heard 6m to 11y. September/October date for possible shots in arms.
Teen dies in Alberta -- several tests came back negative for Covid-19. I have to wonder if this is a new variant that they are unable to test for:

https://globalnews.ca/news/7816526/alber...d-19-test/

Maybe it's something unrelated. Or just false negatives. Either way, tragic for the family and the young teen. But if this is a new variant that is going to start wiping out children, we're going to need to step it up. Hopefully the vaccines would work, if that's the case.
(06-27-2021, 01:20 AM)jeffster Wrote: Teen dies in Alberta -- several tests came back negative for Covid-19.  I have to wonder if this is a new variant that they are unable to test for:

Maybe it's something unrelated. Or just false negatives. Either way, tragic for the family and the young teen. But if this is a new variant that is going to start wiping out children, we're going to need to step it up. Hopefully the vaccines would work, if that's the case.

AFAIK the variants that they are "unable to test for" will still show a positive COVID test, but there is no further test that will say that it is a specific variant.

(06-27-2021, 06:55 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(06-27-2021, 01:20 AM)jeffster Wrote: Teen dies in Alberta -- several tests came back negative for Covid-19.  I have to wonder if this is a new variant that they are unable to test for:

AFAIK the variants that they are "unable to test for" will still show a positive COVID test, but there is no further test that will say that it is a specific variant.

Quite right. There has been no PCR-undetectable variant identified to date. And the accuracy of the PCR tests is quite good.

She had some COVID-like symptoms but at this point there is no evidence or test results indicating that she actually had COVID-19. And there are plenty of other diseases and medical conditions that can cause similar symptons. At this point I would not assume a nasty new version of COVID-19 until they have done the autopsy.
SUNDAY 2021-06-27

Waterloo Region reported 63 new cases for today (13.2% of the active cases) and zero more for yesterday for 50; 388 new cases for the week (+12 from yesterday, -16 from last week), averaging 10.5% of active cases. 473 active cases, -75 in the last seven days.

Next testing report on Tuesday.

Next vaccination report on Monday.

Ontario reported 287 new cases today with a seven-day average of 275 (-5). 379 recoveries and 12 deaths translated to a decrease of 104 active cases and a new total of 2,625. -1,048 active cases for the week and 53 deaths (seven per day). 18,524 tests with a positivity rate of 1.55%. The positivity rate is averaging 1.29% for the past seven days, compared to 1.69% for the preceding seven. 230 patients in ICU (+3 today, -45 for the week).

New case variants reported today (these are substantially delayed so they do not match the new case numbers):
  • Alpha (B.1.1.7): 117
  • Beta (B.1.351): 10
  • Delta (B.1.617): 217
  • Gamma (P.1): 8

202,672 doses of vaccine administered, with a seven-day average at 210,856 (previous week was 191,755). 67.00% of total provincial population vaccinated (+0.19% from yesterday, +1.27% from 7 days ago), 28.89% fully vaccinated (+1.20% from yesterday, +8.76% from 7 days ago).
  • 66 cases in Waterloo: 10.7 per 100K (based on provincial reporting)
  • 9 cases in Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph: 3.3 per 100K
  • 6 cases in Southwestern Ontario: 3.0 per 100K
  • 10 cases in Niagara: 2.2 per 100K
  • 14 cases in Durham: 2.2 per 100K
  • 2 cases in Huron Perth: 2.0 per 100K
  • 26 cases in Peel: 1.9 per 100K
  • 10 cases in Hamilton: 1.7 per 100K
  • 42 cases in Toronto: 1.4 per 100K
  • 7 cases in Halton: 1.3 per 100K
  • 1 cases in Northwestern: 1.1 per 100K
  • 12 cases in York: 1.1 per 100K
  • 4 cases in Windsor-Essex: 1.0 per 100K