Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
(02-24-2024, 10:27 PM)Square Wrote: I noticed that they did some drilling here last week.  Maybe a future development?

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.4536952,-...?entry=ttu

If Growing Together ends up getting implemented that property will be SGA-4 which means no FSR or height limits just built form restrictions especially next to the SGA-1 zone on Agnes, so they can definitely put some substantial density on that site if it is indeed planned to be developed. The as of right zoning is M-2 (industrial) which doesn't permit any residential uses so if Growing Together doesn't get implement it will need a OPA/ZBA if they want to build any residential.

The parking lot at Park (heh) and Dominion is for sale. It was once owned by some individuals who did maintenance at Grand River Hospital who then provided parking to hospital staff, so it's possible it may continue to get used for that purpose but I could also see a developer buying it up as it's a really large plot of land.
That lot has been for sale since at least some time last year. What was there before the parking lot? Is there a chance of industrial contamination in some form?
(02-26-2024, 02:30 PM)nms Wrote: That lot has been for sale since at least some time last year.  What was there before the parking lot?  Is there a chance of industrial contamination in some form?

It appears to have been a parking lot by 1955, but prior to that I think it was just grass? Looking at the aerial maps it shows that it was undeveloped and what I think is grass (since there are trees) in 1945. It may have become contaminated due to the factory nearby, though if it did it was probably minor (runoff, residual contaminants from the factory etc).

You can check out the maps for this area here. Interestingly, it seems like this was basically the far edge of the city at the time, with very little development occurring until the 1950s. Most of the land west past Westmount was just fields, with only a scattering of houses and other structures. Even into the 1960s, there were almost no houses or buildings anywhere near the train tracks.
A Guardian compounding pharmacy has moved into one of the commercial spaces in the DTK tower (not sure if it's open yet). Is it normal for commercial spaces to stay empty for an extended period of time after a building opens? I noticed that the commercial space in Civic 66 at Weber/Scott is still advertising their commercial space on realtor.ca as well.
(03-05-2024, 01:30 PM)SF22 Wrote: A Guardian compounding pharmacy has moved into one of the commercial spaces in the DTK tower (not sure if it's open yet). Is it normal for commercial spaces to stay empty for an extended period of time after a building opens? I noticed that the commercial space in Civic 66 at Weber/Scott is still advertising their commercial space on realtor.ca as well.

The King St-facing commercial units for the Young Condos are also all empty. Cost will surely be part of that.
I wonder how those buildings are structured...i.e., is the developer the commercial landlord or is the residential condo corporation?

If the developer is the commercial landlord then they have a lot more flexibility to hold out for higher rent, but there must also be some complex sharing arrangement to share the building facilities between the condo corp and the rented portion.

If the condo corp is the landlord they're highly motivated to bring in rent to keep the finances in good order, but they also have a much simpler building maintenance arrangement.

(03-05-2024, 03:00 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I wonder how those buildings are structured...i.e., is the developer the commercial landlord or is the residential condo corporation?

If the developer is the commercial landlord then they have a lot more flexibility to hold out for higher rent, but there must also be some complex sharing arrangement to share the building facilities between the condo corp and the rented portion.

If the condo corp is the landlord they're highly motivated to bring in rent to keep the finances in good order, but they also have a much simpler building maintenance arrangement.

I think it's quite unlikely that the condo corp would have purchased those commercial units. That would be a huge investment for almost any condo corporation.
(03-05-2024, 01:30 PM)SF22 Wrote: A Guardian compounding pharmacy has moved into one of the commercial spaces in the DTK tower (not sure if it's open yet). Is it normal for commercial spaces to stay empty for an extended period of time after a building opens? I noticed that the commercial space in Civic 66 at Weber/Scott is still advertising their commercial space on realtor.ca as well.

It usually isn't normal, but we have a big problem with office and retail vacancy downtown. The cost of leasing is one major issue, but also just the dirty, grimy vibe that still exists down there. It isn't entirely desirable - yet. Just take a look at the dollar store that deals with endless, daily theft or the Tim Hortons which basically functions as homeless shelter. For business owners, that's a major annoyance to deal with. Many have told me when discussing buildings and development that that is one major thing that makes them think twice about leasing things down there in addition to often very high costs.
(03-05-2024, 03:00 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I wonder how those buildings are structured...i.e., is the developer the commercial landlord or is the residential condo corporation?

Neither, generally the commercial units are also just units of the condo. They're sold like any other unit, either to commercial owner/operators (e.g. 271 West owns their unit at Charlie West), or to commercial landlords.
(03-05-2024, 08:40 PM)taylortbb Wrote:

Neither, generally the commercial units are also just units of the condo. They're sold like any other unit, either to commercial owner/operators (e.g. 271 West owns their unit at Charlie West), or to commercial landlords.

The developer may act as the landlord, though, until such time that they are able to sell the units.
Kitchener takes bold action on housing with Growing Together plan and inclusionary zoning bylaw

Last night and into the early hours of this morning, Kitchener Council unanimously approved the Growing Together plan, a policy framework that builds on Kitchener’s role as a national leader in addressing the housing crisis. Growing Together enables more than 100,000 new homes in all shapes and sizes, and at least 20,000 new homes in “missing middle” forms. Council also approved an inclusionary zoning policy, which allows cities to require private developers to include a certain percentage of affordable units within new, multi-unit housing developments. This includes as many as 4,500 affordable units secured through inclusionary zoning.
Kitchener properties to be designated under Ontario Heritage Act

Council approved the designation of the following Kitchener properties under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act.

60 Victoria Street North
72 Victoria Street South
33 Eby Street South

Bold Action: continuing to add more costs to medium and high density housing in a generational housing crisis  Dodgy
local cambridge weirdo
(03-19-2024, 10:05 AM)bravado Wrote: Bold Action: continuing to add more costs to medium and high density housing in a generational housing crisis  Dodgy

How so?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »