Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Victoria and Park | 25, 36, 38 fl | Proposed
(06-22-2022, 01:19 PM)jeremyroman Wrote: I've gotten replies from two councillors so far; posting in case others are curious (but don't let it stop you from sending your own email).

Scott Davey (Ward 1) Wrote:Thank you for reaching out.  I'm actually one of the councillors that supported the development, so I can't answer your "why?" question... but I do appreciate you taking the time to ask it.

Equally as concerning as the general supply-loss amidst a crisis, is the potential loss of the 48 affordable units that were planned via donation with this development.

Hopefully a few emails of this nature will help inform council on similar future decisions.

Debbie Chapman (Ward 9) Wrote:Thank you for your feedback. I look forward to the future of this site. While the City has exceeded its density ratio goals for the core, I think the site has great potential to further intensify the downtown area.

Some of the concerns that were raised about the proposal included transitions from the surrounding properties to this property, the traffic at the intersection, the streetscape, shadows, parkland etc. Unlike many other proposals we have received in downtown, this one is particularly close to an established heritage designated neighbourhood. 

I understand your disappointment, but I am sure it will not be long before a new proposal comes forward.

This pisses me off to a great degree. She doesn't even know about the development plans for DTK. I participated in the PARTS plan for the LRT. This site was discussed. Transitions to the surrounding properties was discussed and the plan includes explicitly a mid-density backstop.

I'm sure she doesn't know this as she has previously been quoted saying that she' wants development stop until there is a plan.

But honestly...it's such a bad faith discussion. Parkland isn't a real priority (she makes no attempt to expand or add parks), shadows are bullshit (that corner is a sweltering heat island, streetscape...how could that be better? Traffic...bullshit...the road is over built as it is.

I really have nothing but derision for the VPNA folks...I think they are toxic and harmful to our city, and while I'm unlikely to speak at council again, I would strongly urge people to call that out. Honestly, if they're allow to trash condo dwellers, as "not part of the community" then why shouldn't others be allowed to call out the real actual harmful behaviour of others in the community. Or are we only allowed to complain about made up grievances.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Victoria and Park | 25, 36, 38 fl | Proposed - by danbrotherston - 06-22-2022, 04:51 PM