Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Victoria and Park | 25, 36, 38 fl | Proposed
(06-22-2022, 05:54 PM)clasher Wrote: I got the same canned response from Chapman. I was in one of the meetings where the NIMBYs started talking about their own shadow studies... I was thinking, it's probably your first time using that software, isn't it possible that you got it wrong and not the professionals that do that kind of work routinely?!? But no, Joe Schmoe that fired up FreeShadowStudies.com obviously knows best. I live in the area and you know where most of the shadows comes from!? ALL THE GIANT FRIGGING TREES! I can hardly see my back neighbours houses because of all the big old trees... same with the Iron Horse towers, they're tough to see from Schneider Avenue due to the tree cover. These people are ridiculous.

I mean, this is kind of the point right.

Shadows from trees is a good thing, yet people use shadows from buildings as a reason not to build them?! Do people object to planting trees as well, no obviously not.

Shadows aren't a universally bad thing, shade is a good thing in many (maybe even most) contexts. There are obviously limits--courtyards which are perpetually in complete shade are less pleasant--but that is never what is being discussed.

Shadows are something that's just easy to complain about because nobody thinks about it and nobody (on council) has the courage to call out the bullshit. Hell, I'd have more sympathy for "the shadows will harm my solar power generation's output. Than I have for "the shadows will cover my back yard for an hour in the afternoon".  Do you know how much money I've spent to try and shadow my back yard during the afternoon?!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Victoria and Park | 25, 36, 38 fl | Proposed - by danbrotherston - 06-22-2022, 06:01 PM