Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Housing shortfall, costs and affordability
(09-02-2023, 04:43 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: I have never worked with a single Indian contractor (located in India) that was anything but a burden, and we allegedly used some of the most expensive and highest quality contractors available. Meanwhile, every Indian national that I've worked with located in the US, which has very strong filtering for Indians, has been extremely competent.

One of the big challenges with Indian outsourcing companies is that, as a rule, they have very high turnover: they hire new grads at low salaries and people job-hop between companies to get to better jobs. And, yes, this applies to the expensive ones, too. So, you might have people working on your project that have five years of experience, but it's at five different companies, and they never had time to learn anything in depth. Anyway, we're a bit off the topic of housing now ...

As for filtering, I agree with you conceptually but I don't know how we could make that happen in practice. The colleges have an incentive to fill available spaces, and the student visas are available as long as the program qualifies. Maybe the provincial government would need to limit the number of spaces in those programs, which would then cause the college to filter for the best students?

Ideally the colleges should be rewarded for people good enough to get (real) employment and qualify for a PR, and penalized for ones that go home, but I don't know that there is a practicable scheme that could be implemented for that.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Housing shortfall, costs and affordability - by tomh009 - 09-02-2023, 10:07 PM