Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Lower Kitchener (534 Charles St E) | 32, 27, 15 fl | Proposed
(04-11-2024, 12:24 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(04-10-2024, 10:23 PM)ac3r Wrote: Then I remember we just closed schools because we think children are too stupid to not look at the sun and we call anything over 1cm of snow a "snow event".

It feels like we’re getting more snow days as winter becomes less of an event each year.

With respect to the eclipse, I don’t have a strong opinion on having the schools open or closed for it; I could go either way: open, and have an educational segment dedicated to watching it safely; or closed, and have the kids watch it with their families. But they should have decided when setting up the calendar for the year, and if they wanted the schools closed, just plunk a PD day on April 8 (PD days was actually April 10 which is a bit weird in the middle of the week). Then it wouldn’t have been a discussion point at all.

The problem is that the elementary schools let out right at the peak of the eclipse, and there was concern that kids would look at the sun (children are not always smart about knowing what might actually hurt them, and also enjoy being contrary for kicks), but also that traffic could be dangerous if people are paying more attention to the sky than the road. I imagine there was also a lot of feedback that some families were going to keep their kids home anyway, or pull them midday to watch the eclipse. Buses couldn't be shuffled around, because most of the bus routes are shared with high schools (run two rounds every day) and are contracted to certain timeframes.

The PD Day yesterday was mid-week for Eid, which is why they didn't change it to Monday.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lower Kitchener | 32f ++ | Proposed - by ac3r - 09-23-2020, 06:36 PM
RE: Lower Kitchener (534 Charles St E) | 32, 27, 15 fl | Proposed - by SF22 - 04-11-2024, 12:46 PM