02-21-2016, 01:16 PM
(02-21-2016, 12:56 PM)tomh009 Wrote: It really depends on where the future growth will be. Those highways provide fairly good coverage -- except for the western parts of Kitchener and Waterloo.
I expect intensification will continue (and probably even accelerate) over the coming decades but I don't foresee a complete stop to the growth of the suburbia in the next few decades. And as long as people are spread out in the suburbs, transit can only supplement, not replace, private car transportation (whether self-driven or driverless, both will need roads).
I don't think every area of the city needs to be within X minutes of a major highway. Those that value distance to a highway will live in the many areas that provide that. Those that care less will be fine in the other areas. I suspect our highway coverage is (and will remain) significantly better than most cities our size.

