02-22-2016, 10:46 PM
(02-22-2016, 01:22 PM)westwardloo Wrote: 2080 was just a random year I choose to represent the map. But who knows assuming modest growth of 3% over 5 years, which is very conservative. Multiply 3 by 65/5= 13X 3= 39%. Then multiply current population of the region 510,000 X 1.39 = 700,000 is the minimum forecast for the region by 2080. More likely growth should be consistent at 5% so really, 510,000 X 1.65= 841,500 is reasonable number to expect to live in the region by then. It doesn't matter if you're going to be alive in 65 years or not, we still need to put down the ground work for a sustainable livable city whether we're around to enjoy the outcome. I have this argument with my grandma all the time she feels the LRT is a waste of her tax money cause she won't be around to enjoy the benefits. She just won't accept that this is short sighted, selfish thinking on her behalf and doesn't understand that by building the LRT now, people decades from now will be thanking the people of today for planning and implement a project like this.
HeidiHo westwarloo (I lived in the "westwardloo" when growing up), I personally very much enjoyed your insight and adventure into the next decades in mapping Waterloo Region's possible connected future.
Just like the explorers of 150 or 200 years ago, cartographic insight adventure maps, like yours, have been a place in establishing a connection with our past to our future. Perhaps like other travelers and adventurers maps your map will be an historically informative and discussed document, as it is here.
Future visioning is extremely important as I witness the Luddites who write comments or are paid by the local newspaper rag to opine about things they know nothing about.

