Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(05-16-2016, 12:14 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(05-16-2016, 11:53 AM)KevinL Wrote: I understand they are very distinctive to a cane user.

They are.  These are everywhere in Tokyo, both in the "dot" form to indicate edges, and in "groove" form to indicate paths.  The ones in Tokyo are bright yellow, but I suspect the colour is really rather irrelevant for the people these are targeted at.

Alternating surface colours can actually be a significant assistance to some who are visually impaired. For those with low vision, colour can make a big difference.

Another component of improving universal accessibility for new/rebuilt sidewalks that continue all of the way to the curb (i.e. no grass boulevard) is to have an alternate colour such as a darker shade of concrete to delineate the boundary of the sidewalk to the road. Those with low vision can identify the darker concrete strip adjacent to the road and determine that it is the edge.

An example is the recently widened Weber Street at Wellington Street  https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.4570166,-...312!8i6656

While it's a nice aesthetic feature, it's actual intended purpose is for accessibility.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by The85 - 05-16-2016, 01:17 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM