Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Uptown] Erb/Bridgeport/Caroline/Albert Reconstruction
I'm afraid that I'm also quite in favour for leaving Bridgeport & Erb as-is (as 3-lane, one-way roads). For someone who doesn't live in UpTown Waterloo, they are a rapid way in and out of the core. I do not subscribe to the automatic belief that in all cases we should intentionally hinder or impede vehicular traffic because it's "just better". Why would we intentionally make one mode of transport crappier? Why is one mode favoured over another? I always feel like when people start this "war on cars" thing, it spawns out of a feeling of imagined unfair treatment rather than logic or numbers.

I would not ride my bike on Erb or Bridgeport right now... But I still wouldn't ride it on those roads if they were two-way and had fewer lanes. There are lots of quiet side streets and trails that I feel far more comfortable riding on, so I'm perfectly happy to go find those routes. Not every route in a city can be a 30 km/h limited school zone with chicanes and "speed reducing features"!

I think we're allowed to have one busy road in and out of UpTown.

(I really didn't want to get into this but noticed BuildingScout was getting a bit picked on here and thought I'd chime in.)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: [Uptown] Erb/Bridgeport/Caroline/Albert Reconstruction - by Canard - 05-24-2016, 06:15 AM