11-24-2014, 11:43 AM
While obviously contentious, I think there's something to be considered for naming trains after living figures. Thinking of RIM, Perimeter, IQC, etc, Mike Lazaridis is a great name for investment in and belief in our region. When I'm a visitor to a small town, seeing a name of a historic figure from days gone by doesn't draw me in, or if I am looking to be drawn into the world of these historic figures, I'm not looking to do it best by a name on a train.
But when I'm a visitor to town and my mind is still taking stock of places I'd live/invest in future, when I'm a student who still thinks this is just a university or bedroom community, seeing big well-known names of the present, ones that have either gone on from Waterloo to do great things, or came here later in life to do the same (or did great things here and have always lived here), that is more likely to connect with me, and actively engage my mind in the possibilities of today and tomorrow.
But when I'm a visitor to town and my mind is still taking stock of places I'd live/invest in future, when I'm a student who still thinks this is just a university or bedroom community, seeing big well-known names of the present, ones that have either gone on from Waterloo to do great things, or came here later in life to do the same (or did great things here and have always lived here), that is more likely to connect with me, and actively engage my mind in the possibilities of today and tomorrow.

