Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Funding roads (taxes, user fees etc)
(12-20-2016, 12:29 PM)SammyOES2 Wrote: Edit: Because we don't have enough controversy ITT, its the same way I feel about paying for NEXUS.  I pay a fee and give the Government a bunch of information to have a reasonable experience at the airport.  At some point, the people that can't afford the fee or value their privacy are the ones stuck with a really shitty experience.

I never thought about it this way!  We use NEXUS primarily for land crossings in the car.  Actually our cards just came up for renewal... I was quite surprised that there was no interview again - they just mailed us new cards.  I guess they know everything they need to know. Big Grin

(12-20-2016, 12:50 PM)Coke6pk Wrote: Its all about the $$$.  No different than those at amusement parks who are willing to pay twice the admission fee don't have to stand in lines.

As a theme park enthusiast I have such mixed feelings on this.  Most of the time I won't use these systems (and don't think it's fair), but in the same breath when I'm visiting a park far away I know I might only get to visit once in my life, and I've spent a couple of grand to get there for one specific coaster, and only have a couple of hours there... I'll absolutely pay another $50 or $100 to guarantee I'll be able to get on it.  But I'd never buy it at Canada's Wonderland (home park) - if it's busy, I just come back another day when it's dead...

(It's off topic but it's worth noting there are generally two different types of these queue-bypass systems - ones where you just pay to bypass the line entirely (Cedar Fair uses this system, since it's simple and usually done with a paper wristband, stamp, or lanyard/card) - and others use a true virtual queuing system (Disney, SixFlags), where you hold your place in line "virtually" and come back at a designated time. The advantage to the park operator here is that you're not stuck in line - you're out spending more money in their park at shops and restaurants! I have less of an issue with Virtual Queueing, and more of an issue with the pay-to-bypass systems.)

...Back on topic, we are nowhere near NYC in terms of transit.  It takes me 1h15 to take the Bus to work, and I have to hike a kilometre in the snow from the nearest stop to my office.  It takes me 15 minutes to drive, and the car is sitting in my driveway.  Why would I take the bus?

If we had PRT?  Or LRT to Cambridge?  Absolutely I'd look at taking transit.  I'd probably even be OK with spending more (buying a transit pass AND all the stuff I have to pay for to own a car - insurance, maintenance, etc.), because it'd feel good.  But you're asking people like me to give up way too much.  It just doesn't work for most people.  For the people it does work for, that's great!  If you live downtown and never want to leave KW, good on you.  For the rest of us?  Sorry, we need cars.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Funding roads (taxes, user fees etc) - by nms - 02-20-2018, 01:53 PM
RE: Funding roads (taxes, user fees etc) - by nms - 02-23-2018, 02:50 PM
RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - by Canard - 12-20-2016, 01:43 PM
RE: Urban parks - by danbrotherston - 01-29-2018, 05:24 PM
RE: Urban parks - by ijmorlan - 01-29-2018, 06:24 PM
RE: Urban parks - by creative - 01-29-2018, 06:45 PM
RE: Urban parks - by ijmorlan - 01-29-2018, 09:19 PM
RE: Urban parks - by SammyOES - 01-30-2018, 09:42 AM
RE: Urban parks - by ijmorlan - 01-30-2018, 11:16 AM