Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(04-25-2017, 02:59 PM)Markster Wrote: It feels like, where possible, they tried to build to full railway specs.  It was only in places where it was clearly not possible, that they built as a street-running LRT.  And sure enough, on the Hydro Corridor, there was the opportunity to build to full spec.

I assumed that there were simply difference in how the trains were being managed, e.g., train control vs. visual rules, which controlled whether there were gates or not.

As for roundabouts and this, if you look at things objectively, roundabouts are well on the receding edge of the learning curve.  Compared with 10 years ago, most people know how to and can use them safely and efficiently.  There's only a few holdouts.  Of course, there are plenty of holdouts refusing to understand how to change lanes or turn right safely.  At some point it's no longer a "new technology" problem, but a "bad drivers" problem.

Of course, I'm oversimplifying a little.  There are still some places in KW (and frankly, newcomers to the region) who are still at the beginning of the curve, but simply compared with what I saw 10 years ago when I got here, I do have some faith in most drivers.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by danbrotherston - 04-25-2017, 04:10 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM