01-02-2015, 05:46 PM
(01-02-2015, 01:27 PM)plam Wrote: So this is a case of motivated reasoning, with the main driver being whether you believe that expressways through downtowns are good or bad. I tend to think of them as bad. I think that expressways should go around cities, not through them, especially when there are no downtown exits from said expressway. Outhit started from the premise that vehicular mobility is most important and everything in his arguments flowed from there.
Not at all. I too dislike the Alaskan expressway and I'm indifferent as to whether it is simply removed or removed and replaced by a tunnel. However I find the reports of the demise of the Seattle tunnel greatly exaggerated. I think in the case of Boston, the big dig was needed while for San Francisco the highway didn't need replacement.
I'm on the fence with the Seattle highway, but not because of some ill-informed "the sky is going to fall" argument. We saw plenty of those during the LRT debate.

