Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Interesting quote in an article I came across from March. By the Uptown Waterloo BIA's accounting, only two businesses out of 450 closed as a result of ION construction. I'm not sure which two businesses they're referring to or whether I would attribute their closure to construction, but it's nice to see an official source paint a different picture from the "dozens" of small businesses bankruptcies everyone seems to believe ION caused.

http://www.lfpress.com/2017/03/09/waterl...ansit-plan

Quote:Years of painful roadwork are just about done in Waterloo Region — it built light-rail rapid transit, construction of which is far more disruptive than London’s bus-only plans — and many early fears appear to have been unfounded.

“Was there fear and frustration? There was when construction started (in 2014),” said Patti Brooks, executive director of the 450-member Uptown Waterloo Business Improvement Area. “One hundred per cent of the kudos go to our businesses for doing what they needed to do.”

In the end, she says, “We only had two businesses that closed due to construction.”
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by Bob_McBob - 07-05-2017, 04:06 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM