Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Train/LRT safety
(02-14-2018, 10:20 PM)Canard Wrote: This is the thing that gets people killed.

You people have literally no idea what you are talking about.

Ugh this makes me so effing mad.  And this is why dozens of people are killed every year needlessly.  So ridiculously stupid.

In what way do I not know what I am talking about? Is the bridge different from how I imagine it? Are the tracks in fact right at the edge of the bridge so there is no place to stand safely? If not, you’re just making stuff up. I repeat: there is nothing magically dangerous about railway property; it’s the trains, and anybody with a bit of intelligence can figure out where the trains can and cannot be. This especially applies to a space which will be a public platform but just happens not to be open yet.

What is ridiculously dangerous is going out on one of those long trestles with no railings where the ties are mounted directly to the top of the trestle structure and the rails are on top of the ties. No extra space, nothing to hold on to, long bridge so no time to get to an end even if one hears the train. And on top of that, 99% of the time there is no train, so one doesn’t think of it the way one would a busy road — but as they say, “train time is any time”. In fact I think there is an old sign saying that at the bridge taking the Waterloo Spur over the Grand River just north of St. Jacobs.

Anyway, your point about not trespassing to take photos is valid. But unless you have a factual correction to my understanding of the bridge layout, continuing to push on the “extreme danger” aspect makes no sense. And by the way, I welcome factual corrections: if I’m wrong about something, I want to find out.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Train/LRT safety - by Canard - 02-14-2018, 08:14 PM
RE: Train/LRT safety - by Canard - 02-15-2018, 01:56 PM
RE: Train/LRT safety - by Rainrider22 - 02-15-2018, 03:21 PM
RE: Train/LRT safety - by urbd - 02-15-2018, 03:31 PM
RE: Train/LRT safety - by urbd - 02-15-2018, 03:37 PM
RE: Train/LRT safety - by ijmorlan - 02-15-2018, 04:25 PM
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by ijmorlan - 02-15-2018, 08:32 AM