Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Funding roads (taxes, user fees etc)
I wonder how quickly Ontario become a 3rd world like state if something like this was ever implemented. Roads have to exist whether or not people drive on them. Transit still uses it. Same with fire/police/ambulance services, and well a road crews, as snow clearing is still done, and roads still get chewed up because of the freeze/thaw cycle that we enjoy during the winter months.

Just how many rich nations do we see that track milage on all vehicles? I don't think there are any.

And it certainly doesn't help anyone with a middling or less income. Unlikely that we'd save taxes in other ways to make up for it.

Also, if things need to be that way, then fine, then make transit riders pay the true costs of that so-called luxury of getting onto a bus or rail.

Things aren't perfect, but no sense of screwing around with things. I have no issue subsidizing transit riders. I have no issue subsidizing the roads and highways (I don't do a lot of driving, so even if I was tolled for every KM, it wouldn't be much).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Funding roads (taxes, user fees etc) - by nms - 02-20-2018, 01:53 PM
RE: Funding roads (taxes, user fees etc) - by nms - 02-23-2018, 02:50 PM
RE: Funding roads (taxes, user fees etc) - by jeffster - 03-01-2018, 06:14 PM
RE: Urban parks - by danbrotherston - 01-29-2018, 05:24 PM
RE: Urban parks - by ijmorlan - 01-29-2018, 06:24 PM
RE: Urban parks - by creative - 01-29-2018, 06:45 PM
RE: Urban parks - by ijmorlan - 01-29-2018, 09:19 PM
RE: Urban parks - by SammyOES - 01-30-2018, 09:42 AM
RE: Urban parks - by ijmorlan - 01-30-2018, 11:16 AM