Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Region of Waterloo will receive over $341m in funding for public transit
Accounting for the difference in population is a valid point.

I think that is a bit of an over-correction though.

London's mid-year 2016 census population was 384,000 + about 51,000 students (UWO 30k + 21k Fanshawe) = 435,000. - I was surprised to find UW has more FT students than UWO.

I think it is unfair to include Elmira and St Jacob's (most of Woolwich's) population and New Hamburg's population (most of Wilmot) in the comparison since they are only served by one route each and contribute <125,000 riders per year (route 77 was averaging 1,200 per month or 14,400 in 2017, I think the Elmira route was averaging 350 people per day (109k year).

Their combined populations contributes 8% to the regional total, but their ridership only accounts for 0.6% of the total.

Kitchener + Waterloo + Cambridge's year-end 2017 population, (census adjusted for growth and students) = 525,000 (a more comparative figure would be the year-end 2016 population = 515,500)

That's a difference of about 80,000 people if you use the comparable-ish 2016 populations

It is still a larger difference in ridership per capita than I would have thought (56 (LTC) vs. 38 (GRT)  (which is comparable to the official 2016 MBN Canada figure for our region of 30.0; London is not a part of MBN Canada (formerly OMBI)).

Thanks for pointing that out.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Region of Waterloo will receive over $341m in funding for public transit - by Pheidippides - 03-17-2018, 11:11 PM