Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waterloo Region Council Election Discussion
(07-30-2018, 02:42 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(07-30-2018, 02:05 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: And Karen Redman is not the only one running.

There's lots of potential vote splitting.

On the flip side, there is no guarantee that Aissa will get his 23.68% this time. He got all the anti-LRT votes last time; this time, the LRT is a done deal and he will have to use other issues to convince voters (and get the vote out).

But if you don't want to see Aissa elected, this is your opportunity to support another candidate, whether by volunteering, donating, or convincing other voters. I certainly plan to do so.

There is something to what you are saying. I’m also happy to hear the statistic from somebody else that Karen Redman’s Kitchener-only votes in the last election exceeded Aissa’s Region-wide votes. However, when it comes to issues, keep in mind that Aissa, like Doug Ford, is a Trumpist (in the general sense, not in the more specific sense of supporting the current president of the USA). He isn’t selling any particular platform, as such; he’s selling “those bad people are ruining your life and I will fix it”, even though he very clearly has no ability to fix anything, no desire to actually do so, and no sense of honesty to keep his ideas moored to reality. So he definitely will use the LRT as an example, and his target audience won’t care that it is a done deal at this point.

I should add on that not all politicians with whom I disagree are Trumpists. When I make this accusation I’m making a fairly specific accusation, and it is to the shame of the Ontario PC party here and the Republican Party in the USA that they didn’t stop their respective Trumpists much earlier. I want to actually have to think about whether I should consider voting for my local PC candidate, and to be able to have respect for the choice of those who did so.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Waterloo Region Council Election Discussion - by ijmorlan - 07-30-2018, 03:03 PM