Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finding the Owner of a Rental House
(10-27-2018, 11:14 AM)Canard Wrote: So what are my (free) options for handling a group of renters who have loud parties every weekend aside from calling bylaw, who may or may not show up, and if they do, do nothing, to get these kids evicted?

It’s a bylaw issue (and potentially a criminal law matter, in the event of associated vandalism, threats, or whatever else). The owner can’t really do much different than you can; the only possible difference is if they’re worried about their investment in the property they might monitor more closely. Unfortunately we don’t typically have enough bylaw officers on duty. My opinion is that one should be able to expect a fairly prompt response from bylaw, and they should not be slow to issue fines, especially for repeated situations like what you describe. Also, they should proactively patrol known problem areas. With enough enforcement, I think the parties would stop pretty quickly; it wouldn’t be very fun to party if every time the police show up, force all the non-occupants to leave, and totally kill the vibe. Anyway, there are lots of OK places to party — bars, nightclubs — that are away from where people are trying to sleep.

I would also add that while there would be an initial budget hit from hiring more bylaw officers, if the plan worked there eventually wouldn’t be that many loud parties, so the staffing level could go back down. It’s a bit like cleaning the graffiti on the subway cars every day; at first it’s a massive effort, but eventually doing graffiti just isn’t that rewarding, so the amount of cleaning goes back down to a reasonable amount of work.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Finding the Owner of a Rental House - by Canard - 10-26-2018, 10:59 PM
RE: Finding the Owner of a Rental House - by ijmorlan - 10-27-2018, 11:29 AM