04-13-2015, 11:58 AM
This building and the others on the site were added to the index of non-designated properties of heritage value a few years ago. At the time, the statement of significance identified many heritage and architectural attributes of each building, specifically this one.
I think it's unfair to identify this building as "ugly." Aspects of the architectural style were identified as being of value (by people who probably know more about this sort of thing than I), and specific heritage value was attributed to it. I personally find it only mildly attractive, but infinitely more attractive than a surface parking lot. I can say with confidence (I used to live directly across the street) that its absence would significantly detract from Moore's streetscape. I really hope they designate, and that some other use (affordable housing or anything else) can be found.
I think it's unfair to identify this building as "ugly." Aspects of the architectural style were identified as being of value (by people who probably know more about this sort of thing than I), and specific heritage value was attributed to it. I personally find it only mildly attractive, but infinitely more attractive than a surface parking lot. I can say with confidence (I used to live directly across the street) that its absence would significantly detract from Moore's streetscape. I really hope they designate, and that some other use (affordable housing or anything else) can be found.

