Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
I wouldn't read too much into the original agreement proposed schedules. Those schedules also said evening headways of 30 minutes, and service winding down at 11pm, even in 2046. We're already at service past midnight with 15 minute headways right until the end. Those tables were drawn up by people in the rapid transit team that had never talked to GRT, and probably based it on American LRT systems with much lower ridership. GRT was already providing every 15 minute service past midnight on route 7.

If current service leads to overcrowding I suspect we'll see frequency increases for a while before we see train coupling. The fact schedules are now managed by GRT is a big part of that, but the infrastructure also isn't fully built for two car trains. The concrete platforms are there, but the canopies, arrival displays, door markers, etc aren't there. It could be built, but I think it creates just enough friction for two car trains.

I also suspect that rush hour won't be the limiting factor. Rather, early evening and Saturdays, where they currently have 15 minute headways, is IMO where we'll see the first overcrowding. Because we don't have a big CBD I think the system will get lots of recreational, rather than commuter, use in the first several years.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by taylortbb - 06-30-2019, 12:41 AM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM