Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(07-19-2019, 09:29 PM)ac3r Wrote:
(07-19-2019, 07:30 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: The key is to fine the perpetrators of near misses, not severely punish those who are actually involved in collisions.

Ideally, but anyone who slams on the breaks after a near miss is going to drive off seconds later, and the train will continue on. Unfortunately, you can only challenge those that manage to drive into it. There may be cameras but I can't see them trying to ID every license plate they manage to capture, as that has a lot of complexities. It'll just take time for drivers in this city to get used to this.

My idea is indeed video-based ticketing, similar to red light and speed cameras. I don’t believe license plate identification is a big deal these days; I believe we have fully-automatic ticketing cameras already. These ones couldn’t be fully automatic as to identification of ticketable incidents, but you can imagine drivers pressing a button which would flag the surrounding minute of footage for review and identification of which vehicles to ticket. The video reviewer could point at license plates for automatic recognition and designate offences to ticket based on their assessment.

While there are legitimate concerns around those technologies, the fact that they would mean that enforcement would actually happen is not one of them. I suspect that enforcement based on LRV-mounted cameras of illegal turns, violations of right-of-way, etc. would be an easier sell to the public, as it would be clear that the ticketed incidents would in fact be serious safety violations that only through luck did not end in a collision with the LRV.

It’s much better to have a high probability of a relatively small penalty than a small probability of a large penalty.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by ijmorlan - 07-19-2019, 10:55 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM